Crystals and Parts : Trio TS-520 / Trio TS-830

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by DV1YSC, Apr 24, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

On any of these hybrid conventional mixer rigs (from Kenwood, Yaesu, etc), if you fit a FIX crystal that makes your Transmit (and Receive) frequency 14.100 Mhz, it will also transmit on 3.600, 7.100, 21.100, 28.100, etc.

BUT - there are two provisos . . .

Firstly, you normally have a Trimmer to set the Crystal Frequency precisely . . . but as the band crystals will not normally come out exactly the same, you may not come out on exactly the same frequency on each band.

And secondly, the LSB and USB crystals are about 3kHz apart, so that's why there is a slightly different figure in the calculation for each sideband.

Hope that helps !

Roger G3YRO

2. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member QRZ Page

RPZ

With all due respect, it appears you do not understand how the Kenwood hybrid FUNCTION switch VFO-R, FIX-R and FIX features work.
    The crystals used in any of those Function switch settings replace the 'VFO". The VFO frequency range is between 4.9Mhz and 5.5Mhz regardless
    of the band switch setting. A single FIX crystal can be used on any band as explained in the manual.

If you don't have the TS-520 and/or TS-830 series manuals, I have them on my website. Click the following link then scroll down to the appropriate
    link and click the link to download the manual.

http://w5rkl.com/manuals/

The Kenwood TS-520 series VFO-R, FIX-R and FIX FUNCTION switch setting operation is as follows:

VFO R uses the VFO to control RECEIVE frequency and the crystal controls the TRANSMIT frequency. The crystal, in transmit, REPLACES the VFO.

FIX R uses the VFO to control TRANSMIT frequency and the crystal controls the RECEIVE frequency. The crystal, in receive, REPLACES the VFO.

FIX uses the crystal to control both TRANSMIT and RECEIVE frequency. This means with the FUNCTION switch set to FIX, a single crystal in one
    of the 4 crystal sockets on the FIX CH AVR board controls both transmit AND receive frequency.

You cannot use a 14.313 crystal plugged into one of the 4 crystal sockets on the FIX CH AVR board to operate crystal control on the 20 meter band's 14.313Mhz.
    That's not how the FIX crystal operation works. I recommend you spend time studying the TS-520 manual that explains how the FUNCTION switch crystal feature works.

Source of specific crystals have become less and less. Brian, AF4K, has a lot of crystals which some are in HC-6/U and the smaller HC25/U .plug in. The Kenwood
    TS-520 uses the HC25/U plug in type crystal.

International Crystals in Oklahoma City, OK went out of business last year and JANs crystals no longer provide crystals. The only crystal manufacturer business I am aware of
    in the U.S. that manufactures crystal to the user specifications is BOMAR crystals. There is a crystal manufacturer in the UK that will make you a crystal for approximately
    $50. I don't remember the UK crystal manufacturer's name or URL. I

I wrote BOMAR crystals asking for a price of a single HET OSC crystal for an HW-101/SB-100 (both units use the same crystal frequency). Minnie from BOMAR
    crystals replied as follows. Note this is for "one" crystal. BOMAR has a "minimum order" requirement

Xtal for HW-101
    38.395Mhz frequency
    Our PN: BC12AAB306-38.395000

Qty: 1
    Unit price : $100.00
    Lead time: 6 weeks
    plus shipping

In another response from BOMAR crystals, Minnie stated the following:

Please note our Minimum order is $100.00
    plus Shipping

QuartsLab in the UK can make you a crystal to your frequency specifications, see the following link:

http://www.quartslab.com/

I wrote QuartsLab asking about a single HW-101 10 meter HET OSC crystal in a HC-6/U plug in holder. They quoted me a price of $38.60 GBP which equates to approximately
    $51.27 USD. The price included shipping form the UK. While still expensive, that's 50% cheaper for "1" crystal than BOMAR Crystal quote price of $100 for "1" crystal. I am well aware that
    purchasing in large quantities lowers the price of each crystal but I suspect the typical ham does not order crystals in large quantities that a business would.

Mike W5RKL
    www.w5rkl.com
    RMC(SW) USN RET

3. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd highly recommend Quartslab.

A couple of months ago I bought heterodyne and fixed-channel crystals for my FR-101 receivers from them. The crystals - around 20 total - averaged £18 each, including shipping for the lot. Turnaround was pretty quick and the quality of the finished rocks is excellent.

In a couple of months I'm going to do same for my various Kenwood hybrids. HET crystals for the 820 series (for WARC band coverage in the TS-, and extended receiver coverage in the R-) along with fixed-channel crystals for both the 820 and 830 models I have here.