ad: vanity

Crystals and Parts : Trio TS-520 / Trio TS-830

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by DV1YSC, Apr 24, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. DV1YSC

DV1YSC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking for the following crystals for these 2 boatanchors, what I need help in are the types of crystals these 2 radios have, ALL as in all the crystals it could use like the TS-520 it has 4 channels and the RX/TX main crystals what are their type and sizes and specs? same for TS-830 as I would be sourcing them or maybe someone here could help me source a full set.

I would also need a full set of capacitors, resistors and other parts to replace these 2 boatanchors and make it perform like it was Day 0 from the plant

Thank you

73 de DV1YSC

2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Crystal specs for the TS-520 are on page 24 of the operating manual. Crystal specs for the TS-830S are on page 21 of the operating manual.

Changing out all the capacitors and resistors and other parts on every board of each transceiver is a very costly and probably a total waste of time and money. If you want a rig from "day 0 from the plant" go buy a brand new rig.

3. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member QRZ Page

You can find the information you are looking for in the TS-520 and TS-830 operator's manuals.

TS-520S Operator's manual page 23

http://w5rkl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/TS-520S-Operators-Manual.pdf

TS-830S Operator's manual page 21

http://w5rkl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/TS-830-operators-manual.pdf

The crystal frequencies range from 5.0Mhz to 5.5Mhz in the TS-520S and 5.5Mhz to 6.0Mhz in the TS-830. The crystals simply replace the VFO.

To learn how to calculate, order, and use the crystals, refer to each radio's operator's manual for further details.

In the U.S., the crystals can be ordered from International Crystals in Oklahoma City, OK.

https://www.icmfg.com/hamradio-manufacturers.html

I cannot say for sure but the same crystals may be obtained at Jans Crystals. Contact them for details.

http://www.jancrystals.com/

Replacing the electrolytic capacitors on the IF unit board as well as the Rectifier Unit and HV capacitors is okay. However, replacing the other caps and resistors on the individual boards is NOT recommended!!

Mike W5RKL

4. DV1YSC

Thank you fellow hams, you are a big help

5. DV1YSC

Anyone knows how to order the Crystals for the TRANSMIT or how do you call it?

6. DV1YSC

Are those called Band crsytals correct? it is worth changing on this classic rigs to keep them in shape?

7. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member QRZ Page

No the crystals are not called "Band crystals".

As I said the crystals simply "replace" the VFO when using the "FIX" option of either transceiver. "FIX" means "crystal control" on a specific frequency.

An example of TS-520 FIX operation on 40 meters LSB at 7.250Mhz, a crystal with the frequency of "5.2515Mhz is required.

The crystal frequency is determined by using the formula found on page 23 in the TS-520S operator's manual.

5.5015 + X - desired operating frequency

"X" is the band switch setting, "7.0" in the above example.

5.5015 + 7.0 = 7.250 = 5.2515Mhz

The operator orders the crystals using the following data:

Crystal frequency is 5.2515Mhz
    Crystal holder type is HC-25U
    Multiplication factor is "Fundamental"
    Tolerance factor is +/- 0.002% at room temperature

The crystal is inserted into the FIX CHAN AVR Unit board (X43-1100-00) located directly behind the TS-520 internal VFO. The TS-520 FUNCTION switch is set to the desired FIX operation and the crystal is selected using the front panel FIX channel switch setting. See the TS-520 operator's manual's FIXed option for further details.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

An example of the TS-830 FIX operation on 40 meters LSB at 7.250Mhz, a crystal with the frequency of "5.750Mhz" is required.

The crystal frequency is determined by using the formula found on page 21 in the TS-830 operator's manual.

5.5 - 7.0 + 7.250 = 5.750Mhz

The operator orders the crystal using the following data:

Crystal frequency is 5.750Mhz
    Crystal holder type is HC-25U
    Multiplication factor is "Fundamental"
    Tolerance factor is +/- 0.002% at room temperature

The crystal in the TS-830 is inserted into the desired socket on the PLL Unit board (X50-1680-00). The front panel's "FIX" push button is pressed causing the "FIX" LED to light resulting in the TS-830 operating FIX or "Crystal control" on the frequency based on the FIX crystal in the PLL Unit FIX socket. See the TS-830 operator's manual for further details on operating FIX with the TS-830.

Mike W5RKL

KA9JLM likes this.
  8. DV1YSC

Great explanation Mike, thank you for taking the time

73 de DV1YSC

9. KG5RPZ

KG5RPZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I cant delete this for some reason

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 1:21 PM
  10. KG5RPZ

KG5RPZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Resurrecting the dead here... Mike's explanation was great, however... Lets say I wanna do FT8 frequencies only with these 4 added Crystals. The formula for USB is 5.4985+ X= frequency now would that just get me inside the 80 meter band using 3.5 as the band? or do I need to replace 3.5 with the literal frequency I wanna be using per say, on 80 meters I need to be set on 3.573.

So should I work the formula for X being not just the band, but literally the dead on frequency I intend to use again say I wanna do 14.074

Does that mean the formula would be 5.4985+14.074=20.049 otherwise using whats in the book and just plugging in the band for X ie 14 for 20 meters would give you

5.4985+14=19.4985 which would get you in the 20 meter band but would you be on frequency for the FT8 mode or just in the 20 meter band?