Cruise ship permission

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4NJ, Jun 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I could be mistaken, but I think the question people are asking is how your signal gets from the ship to the shore. If you're using only a VHF handheld, and you plan to talk to people more than a few miles away from the ship, then it seems to me that you probably don't really need the VHF handheld to do what you want to do.

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks to me like you could do better than a couple of miles with a handheld

[​IMG]

3. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You quoted a question I had for N5PAR in his post #58. No help from me on that one.

At this point I think the OP got the information he was looking and so much more... repeatedly!

Now to find that unsubscribe button.

4. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

It's certainly true that if the captain says no radio, it means no radio, regardless of whether or not governmental authorities would object to the radio use.

But if the captain says yes, that does not give you free rein to ignore governmental requirements, of course.

It's not that much different from if you're a passenger in my private car. As the driver/owner, I can forbid you from using your radio while you're my passenger, or I can forbid you from smoking in my car, even though the government wouldn't object to those actions. But if I allow you to transmit false distress messages on 121.5, or if I give you permission to fire a gun out the window in violation of applicable laws, my permission won't keep you out of trouble.

N2EY likes this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

No need to "unsubscribe." The PROBLEM is the OP never returned to get a reasonable answer to his query.

6. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect by the time this gets sorted out the boat will have left the dock. Possibly even returned.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the late 1970s, I turned on my radio, & caught the "tail end" of a "roundtable" contact between
    some locals & an Amateur on an Iron ore ship heading into Port Hedland Western Australia.

Nothing very notable about that, except that he was using a 2m handheld radio, working through one of the 2m Repeaters here in Perth WA, 1333km (822 miles) away from Port Hedland, (& probably further from where he was).

Back then, handheld 2m radios were lucky to put out 2.5 Watts, so you can understand why there was something of a "feeding frenzy" among local Hams to work him.

Since that time I have witnessed, & sometimes been part of, enough long distance contacts on 2m FM to know that they are quite common in Summer conditions.
    They do occur in Winter, too, but do not seem to be as prevalent.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I honestly get a greater thrill from contacts a couple of hundred miles away on 2m than from contacts on the other side of the planet with HF. When it is open, it is open. I particularly like chasing openings to 2m FM repeaters. The likelihood of a contact is greater, and you have known frequencies where people congregate beyond 146.520.

I have 215 selected repeaters programmed into my base station at my QTH, from Florida all the way to West Virginia and Pennsylvania. These specific ones are programmed because I have caught them before. Living in central SC, there are openings with every weather system that comes through--and in the Summer, that is just about every day. If 80m and 40m are unbearably noisy, 2m is almost always open to somewhere.

There are always lots of discussions about 'real' amateur radio, but I really do not care at all if I am having fun.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I think they don't read all the messages before posting, OR, they use the old ham adage, "You've heard opinions but you have not heard MY opinion!"