Cruise ship permission

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4NJ, Jun 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t really care how much or how little the internet is used with D Star, Fusion, or DMR. WU8Y said I was 100% wrong when I stated that D Star used the internet. Now I’m getting others telling me it only kind of sometime more than others uses the internet.

Just because I have no interest in D Star or DMR doesn’t mean anything. It’s my personal preference. If you do have interest or even think it’s the cats meow that cool with me.

My problem is being told by a licensed amateur who i assume uses D Star bold faced lied and told me and anyone else reading this thread I was 100% wrong. Which I interpret as, “D Star doesn’t use the internet.” That’s a lie.

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, why would anyone pay good money for a nice cruise and take a radio with them? The guy should give it a rest, and take some himself. Like I said, enjoy all the amenities the ship has to offer and take in the fresh sea air. Forget about ham radio for a couple of weeks, it will still be there when you get back.

3. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I only thought of this because of Viking in the original post. I realise that the OP's cruise is over open ocean, but do the same rules apply to the Viking River Cruises? In that instance, would CEPT compliance alone not be enough? Is the captain of a vessel in the middle of the Danube in Ingolstadt a higher authority than the Bundestag?

I have operated many times on Staten Island Ferry. Maybe I was in gross violation of the law.:)

4. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Cruise ships are not always out in the middle of the ocean as far as they can get from land.

I have read a number of stories in the WIA magazine "Amateur Radio" of people sailing out of
    VK's Eastern States ports on cruises of the near Pacific out to Fiji, New Caledonia, & the like, working quite long distances into 2m repeaters in those countries & ZL, (& back to VK), as well as within the local waters of all these countries.
    ( So it is still possible, at least with those cruise lines)

With good Summer "ducting" conditions, several hundred miles is not a major drama, even with
    a handheld radio with its typically lousy antenna.

Ships cruising in the Caribbean are seldom very far from land, which is probably why most US references to such activities are on those cruises.

5. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've done Northwest Passage from Seattle, WA to Alaska twice. Only out of sight of land for a few hours north of the island the city of Victoria is located on. Very scenic landscape and lots of wildlife. In hindsight I should have programed the radio to listen to the marine bands. At one point there were three maybe four cruise ships lined up and would have been interesting to eavesdrop on the traffic. If you can get a room with a balcony. Great way to wake up in the morning with the coast slipping by.

KU4X likes this.
  6. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

YES 1,000 times YES.
    The captain is the final authority of all that goes on even rowing a dinghy across a lake. The captain may well find a lot of ways to get in trouble LATER for violating various policies, rules, customs, and traditions, but if you ask the captain of ANY boat or aircraft if you can use your radio and they say no, that means no. If I was the captain of said boat or aircraft your radio would be going overboard soon after.
    The Staten Island Ferry skipper probably doesn't give a #### if you play with your 2 meter gear or there would be a sign up someplace, but the first time some mis-programmed Bofunk starts interfering with a passing arrangement on CH 13 he will care a lot.

7. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The simple answer is that the captain of a vessel is the final authority -on- that vessel, period.

8. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow. I am going to buy a dingy, dig a small pond in my back garden, and sit there and do whatever I like. :)

...insanity

9. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

It has been this way for good reason for thousands of years. If you want to sit in a pond in a boat, you really can do whatever you like within the law. A vessel is an extension of the country of registry, so for example if a ship is registered in Norway and the captain decides to shoot some passengers for fun, said captain will end up in Norwegian court.
    This is actually an issue on cruise ships, especially concerning rape. A crewmember from say the Philippines rapes an American tourist aboard a ship registered in Liberia while in Bahamian territorial waters. The Bahamians will say go call someone in Liberia, Liberia will say go call someone in the Bahamas, the Philippines will say call someone else didn't happen here, and basically nothing will be done.

10. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i'd still like to know how the OP plans to connect to DSTAR. . . we'd be able to come up with a better solution that would probably negate any need whatesoever to talk to any official about anything...