Cruise ship permission

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4NJ, Jun 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The first step in getting the pilot's or captain's approval is to get the cruise line's approval.

2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

exactly. If it's just via wifi then perhaps he needs to either use the Peanut App which is like Echolink but for DSTAR - - OR use his hotspot and his pc and just use the PC mic to enter the internet VoIP chatroom (i.e. DSTSR reflector)

N5PAR likes this.
  3. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

This is 100% wrong.

4. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

eh, maybe just 77.7777% wrong... there's a significant amount of internet in DSTAR

5. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is quite accurate.

Before recent management doctrines and the STCW conventions modified the role of the ship's Master from being an autocratic ruler into the office supervisor of a floating warehouse that stands under the constant watch of the bean-counters at the ship-owner's shore-based office, the Master could approve or disapprove of almost anything imaginable regarding the vessel operations.

Not so anymore...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    N2EY likes this.
  6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably XE1C (ex-XE1GR, etc), I have had QSO's with him on 20m.

Now on Harmony of the Seas. Quite impressive radio shacks, both onboard and at port, but likely QRT when the XYL is "checking propagation" ;):D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  7. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yup, Jean-Paul. As I remember the time I operated his shack on the Oasis was the last week he was on that ship before moving to the Harmony. He told me he had the folks run his coax through the walls while the ship was being built! Pretty cool!

................Bob

8. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

So are you trying to tell me D star doesn’t use WiFi, internet, networks, or other non amateur modes of communications? The attached photo taken from Icoms website mentions the internet 3 or 4 times and is highlighting in the center of the illustration.

D099920F-A5ED-40B6-BFAB-F6A0FC3D2F16.png

9. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While the included illustration does indicate significant internet usage it does not show simplex radio or local repeater operation. To support callsign routing imbedded in the protocol, internet plays an important part. Including the internet as in the illustration does not mean "mainly the internet...". What exactly is "other non amateur modes of communications"? None of the internet access is going to work without registering you callsign. In today's technology, amateur radio RF communications has the benefit of extension beyond the horizon for line of sight frequencies. Seems like a win - win to me. Not all would agree. :-(

10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I'd rather be relaxing by the pool. But that's just me.

KA4DPO likes this.