Crossband radios

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KG8BL, Nov 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. M5WJF

M5WJF Ham Member QRZ Page

Prior to 7100 to 7200 being enabled in the UK, I used to listen above 7100 and transmit below 7100, not sure it qualifies as crossband, but certainly to one of us 'someone' was out of band.

2. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is Split Operation used all the time on HF for such different country ops

3. M5WJF

Yes it is, I'm aware, stating I'm not sure it qualifies means I know it doesn't, but someone did mention someone potentially transmitting out of band.

Having worked cross band on 6m/4m,2m/70cm, and also on 160m/80m/60m/40m, I think I know the difference.

Maybe its because I'm British and we understate things to be polite, but you'll get used to us eventually, because we're great.

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. K8XG

In the USA a cross band repeater means a Radio that will pass full duplex 2m/70cm traffic between the users or repeater...

The most common issue is a V71 Kenwood cross band repeater in your truck while you with your HT cant hit the repeater while on the desert floor, Playa or other outback thing and your truck's cross bank repeater GETS YOU IN

5. M5WJF

Yes I own a Yaesu FT-8800 I bought for RAYNET operations/exercises, works well.

K8XG likes this.
  6. K8XG

Now you are making me want to go to the Pub in Surrey, have some Bangers and Mash...then some Pints and pull some bird but avoid playing slap and tickle with the Wenches [The sign inside a Surrey pub, on the way back from Turing Lane actually says "No Slap and Tickle with the Wenches." Another one says No Tinkering, at least it did in 2005]

* Tinkering , what the guy selling Tribbles in the space station bar was doing, selling gadgets, trinkets

WD4ELG likes this.
  7. M5WJF

Tinkering is metal working, not sure why they used the phrase in Star Trek, since sales is not metalwork. I don't think I've ever had bangers and mash in a pub, its always been an evening meal at home. Have to admit its been a couple of weeks since I actually bought a pint. 'er indoors would cause too much earache if I trifled with wenches these days, best not fire up the dragon.

K8XG likes this.
  8. K8XG

My Epsom guide told me Tinkering was selling stuff out of your cloak in the pub, like the Star Trek guy did .... passing about the stuff.. Anyway have been all over your great Island and it was great, including eating at the "Rules" place on the cobblestone

9. K8XG

On British airways on my way back to DTW , I had bangers and mash plus a "Stellia" on the way back home...

10. K8XG

And a few years later I discovered that the Birds at Piccadilly Square think Americans are some kind of rich folks... I had none of it as I had my gal at home ...