ad: vanity

Critical security patch for Windows XP issued

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, May 14, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am glad I have all the compatible peripherals for my obsolete computers, that support legacy hardware and will run all my 16-bit DOS software, including DOS software for my ICOM IC-2710.

My outdated embedded XP Pro was supported longer than others, so if someone still has support maybe it is for the media kiosks.

I recommend legacy AOpen for supporting legacy hardware, and staying strong. I have no complaints.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What is embedded XP Pro ? XPe ?

Where is it embedded ?

3. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought that is the designation.

I have an AOpen DE-962HG that had been used in a commercial kiosk.

It is okay if I got it wrong, even so I got "support" with updates long after XP Pro support was discontinued, and so, I looked it up at Microsoft and it said XP Pro embedded support was continuing. Okay, I accepted that explanation for my continuing to get updates.

I think I will get the present update, although I have not been using the XPPro online for some time now.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Palm pilot??

What on earth do you use a Palm Pilot for that can't be done better and easier with a smart phone or small tablet?

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you SURE? :confused: I just replaced an OLD scanner with an Epson V-39, that is compatible with Win XP through (at least) Win 10. Or is a current peripheral "no longer made?"

7. WA9SVD

Well, for one thing, the "Palm Pilot" doesn't eat up data time on a cell phone...:p

8. WD4IGX

Shrug. Because it doesn't have a cell connection. You're just saying that it doesn't incur charges for something it cannot do that the smart phone can incur charges for because it can do. You can always buy a smart phone and no cell plan and use it on wifi only - or just a small tablet, which is what it would be. A small Android tablet is cheap and will run circles around an antique like a Palm Pilot. Don't get me wrong - I like old stuff. But I USE newer stuff when it's the better tool.

I have unlimited data on my cell plan but yes, that costs me a monthly charge. Very worth it to me, YMMV.

9. WD4IGX

Palm Pilot Professional specs, from Wikipedia:

• Operating System: Palm OS 2.0, upgradeable to Palm OS 2.0.5 with 1MB or Palm OS 3.0 if 2MB memory upgrade is installed.
    • Processor: Motorola MC68328 DragonBall
    • Internal RAM: 1 MB
    • Screen Resolution: 160x160 pixels
    • Battery Type: 2 AAAs
    • Battery Life: 30 hours
    • Size: 117 x 81 x 17 mm - 4.6 x 3.2 x 0.7 in.
    • Weight: 6.0 oz
    A modern 7" tablet selling for $29. I just searched my local place I often shop:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/488782/a743-tablet---black

Specs:

• LCD 7" 1024x600 Display
    • Allwinner A33 1.3GHz Quad-Core CPU
    • 1GB RAM & 8GB SSD
    • Android 5.1 Lollipop OS
    Lessee, 160x160 pixels vs 1024x600, 1 MB memory versus 1GB RAM plus 8GB SSD storage, a processor only capable of a maximum of 16.58Mhz versus a modern one running at 1.3Ghz with quad cores..

I do kind of understand "been using it all these years, still has my data on it and does what I need" but it's rather akin to driving a horse and buggy down mainstreet. Sure it will get you there but...

The tablet is, however, slightly heavier at 320 grams or 11.3 ounces. If you need smaller there are indeed cheap smartphones that would fill the bill and you can buy one without buying a cell plan. I even have a cell-capable tablet without a cell plan, because I'm a pilot and wanted the built in GPS of the cell capable model of iPad but have no real need for a data plan for it. In practice if I have it I also have my phone and I can always hotspot the phone if I need to connect the iPad away from Wifi.

10. WA9SVD

So the Palm Pilot is old... I don't disagree. But I don't have to lug around a tablet and iPhone to use it once a month to take brief notes and check a calendar at monthly club meetings, and when I get home, it goes into Outlook on an i7 machine.