ad: Amateur-1

Critical security patch for Windows XP issued

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, May 14, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, when a vendor wants $$ to "upgrade" software for their existing hardware for a newer OS, you stick with what works. Plus, if you have older equipment, there may be no software for newer a newer OS, or the vendor may be long gone.

2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

But - but MS *just* released a critical patch for - what is the title of this thread again?

KD4MOJ likes this.
  3. G8XQB

G8XQB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Key word...Critical
    If they can't convince people not to run with scissors at least they can blunt them. :D

5. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Aren't they all "critical"? When was the last time they labeled a patch as: "optional", "at your discretion", "unnecessary", "trivial", "when you get around to it"?

I think we deep-sixed the idea that MS is _not_ supporting Xp (they are, for certain cash-paying customers that we don't hear about; this 'patch' is a result), the discussion turns to "how deep in the drink".

6. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Somewhere in my storage building of useless Junque, I have an original
    IBM PC, first issue, complete with green phosphor monitor and keyboard.
    It has two 5" floppies and no hard drive.
    Probably worth less than $0.05, but I still have it.
    Jon

KK4NSF likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Cool Jon! That's EXACTLY what I bought about 1986 from Salvation Army - the original IBM PC, dual floppies, and green phosphor monitor. I got it for TEN BUCKS :eek:!! Even then it was worth probably $100 but was sold "untested as-is". I LOVED it - I had a big box of IBM / MS-DOS software and used it for word processing (Wordstar? Can't recall) and Visicalc (64 x 64 sheet max as I recall). My "power computer" was a pair of Commodore 64s for games, and a brand new Vendex IBM-Clone XT PC with CGA for "serious work" but I loved that IBM and reveled in the fact it sold just a few years earlier for $5000 and I got it for TEN BUCKS!!!

those were crazy times to be involved in computers - hardware changed more frequently than I changed my socks!!!

Dave
    W7UUU

KK4NSF, WD4IGX and AD5HR like this.
  8. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

MFM and RLL drives anyone ?

WR2E likes this.
  9. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave,
    I'll give it to you, but the shipping costs would make it
    pretty expensive nostalgia?
    Never had a Commodore but I had a Color Computer with
    every accessory.
    Hacked the ROM port, and built a text to speech board using
    an old "Orator" chip from a scorched pinball game.
    Lots of "fun", but machine code hex programming probably cost
    me half of my already thinning hair. <grin>
    Jon

W7UUU likes this.
  10. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

-g=c800:3