Critical security patch for Windows XP issued

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, May 14, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I was more of a Leather Goddesses of Phobos man. ; >

As an aside to the conversation, (we) Mac owners will soon face a backwards compatibility problem with the next OS release (this Fall?) where 32-bit software will no longer be supported, so just an FYI.

2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

I did toss my CP/M based Xerox "820" which had a 2.5 MHz Z80 CPU on the MOBO and also I had two 8" Shugart (sp?) single-sided floppies ... I kept a MOBO or two is all .. MOBO had a whopping 64K or RAM! Also long gone are a TI 99/4A ... still have have the color monitor for that though, it takes composite video so it's still useful.

3. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know of people running XP due to legacy applications that do not support current version of Windows OS. It's a tough position to get into. Sometimes you have options (ie, upgrade paths) and it's the users fault for not upgrading / migrating. Then there are applications that do not have upgrade paths, but are critical to their business. Those guys are dinosaurs stuck in the LA tar pits.

WA9SVD likes this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

That thought did actually cross my mind...

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no other reason that they would do you a favor for Free.

There will most likely be a back door open for them.

Took a 13 year old kid to find the back door in Vista when it was first released. :eek:

Win 10 has one built in for your Pleasure/Protection and Support. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have managed to get by with old software and hardware then perhaps maintaining an outdated OS makes sense to you, But one of these days you are going to have to bite the bullet.
    I think the mentality that technology updates are made to "just sell new machines and software" is a little archaic. Technology updates support better and faster ways of doing things with improved security.

7. WD0BCT

When offices upgraded from their manual Underwwood Typewriters for IBM Selectrics it was a massive upgrade, but the results were outstanding. Back in those days the technology didn't change very quickly so each platform survived for a generation or two. Today technology marches to a different drummer. I'm not saying I particularly like the pace, but it's a reality.

8. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll report from the "sandbox" later this week . I'll put a bit for bit copy of my two current XP installs in VM's and see what quits working. This used to be the only test I used. Now I'm finding that security updates for W2K3 and XP seem to know or can detect if they are running in a VM or on hardware.

For years I battled M$ "Phone Home" attempts, and successes. For even more years I battled desktop support over instant application of critical security updates. I refused to apply critical security updates without first applying them in quarantine, even in the face of "zero day remote administrative access exploits" .

I was once given written orders to update over 400 desktops in a financial institution without first testing the update. I was fired the same day for insubordination pertaining to my demand for written orders. Two days later I was back at work and the dolt that had insisted I update was not. It took me all of a half hour to roll back every machine on the network but nearly a month to recover the lost three to four days of work. The day they asked for my administrative passwords I resigned effective immediately (there may have been a vacuum left where I had been sitting when I got the memo) and was out the door inside of five minutes. (yes I had seen it coming , It was my network . I'll let the non professional have a sec for that to sink in).

I was eventually sued for malicious destruction of their system . I suppose the amount of the suit was generated by federal income tax issues they were having . This is the only reason I can assume the amount was north of $100mil. I had completely removed any access I had to the system in the five minute departure. Any and all malicious destruction occurred after that moment.
    No case ...

So what is my point? Do I even have a point?

The only thing I trust less than the operating system itself is the updates generated by the author and or owner of that operating system. The only thing I trust less than the updates is any system I am not solely responsible for . I refuse to share administrative/root access with anyone for any reason. This includes automatic updates from M$, *Nix, Mac, or anyone.

The point ? Trust no one . If you value your data, If you value your security, apply patches and updates in quarantine and establish a restore/backup point . Only then and with the appreciation that you could still have a ticking time bomb installed, will you have any reasonable security.

I know they're out to get me so it is not paranoia.

WR2E likes this.
  9. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

An "outdated OS".
    What is your definition of an "Outdated OS" ?
    "Outdated OS" has become a buzz word used in place of an accurate description of the pace of technology.

10. WD0BCT

No longer supported by it's developer and compatible peripherals are no longer made.