Critical security patch for Windows XP issued

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, May 14, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't this old Ted? Sounds too familiar... but it's dated May 14 of this year.

I'm confused.

XP support ended long time ago.

Wonder what gives?

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

It's just weird... must be real bad if they're patching existing XP installs!

Probly the Russians... or maybe it's Aliens.

Whatever, it's odd.

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

That CVE doesn't mention XP though.

XP must use the same RDS service and that's what it sounds like is getting patched.

I bet 99% of those of us still using XP have already turned OFF the "Remote Desktop Service" so shouldn't be concerned about it.

7. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

What !!?? Again? This makes twice ...

----------------

Customer guidance for CVE-2019-0708 | Remote Desktop Services Remote Code Execution Vulnerability: May 14, 2019
    Applies to: SecurityWindows

Microsoft is aware that some customers are running versions of Windows that no longer receive mainstream support. That means those customers will not have received any security updates to protect their systems from CVE-2019-0708, which is a critical remote code execution vulnerability.

Given the potential impact to customers and their businesses, we made the decision to make security updates available for platforms that are no longer in mainstream support (see download links in the following table). These updates are available from the Microsoft Update Catalog only. We recommend that customers running one of these operating systems download and install the update as soon as possible.

Platform Windows XP SP3 x86

WR2E likes this.
  8. AA5CT

I use Remote Desktop to access all the other XP boxes, and one Win 7 tower ...

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

wow -folks still run XP?? I had no idea.

Of the 22 computers in my business and home world, 2 still run Win7 (didn't qualify hardware-wise for Win10) and all the rest are very happily running on Win10 with absolutely zero issues. I'm not a "light user" either - lots of powerful software for my business plus ham radio applications (light duty but still)

What is the benefit of running such an old OS?

Dave
    W7UUU

10. AA5CT

re: "What is the benefit of running such an old OS?"

ALL my installed software, language tools, compilers etc, analysis programs, 4NEC2, Ansoft HFSS, WINSPICE, VB6, NI LabVIEW 8.2, DAQ card, IEEE488 card, etc etc still runs.

I have a copy of EESOFT ESYN, Touchstone, uwaveSPICE on a 386. Same PC Z80 compiler, 8051 family compiler, Borland C etc.

The objective here is: "Support the mission."

WA9SVD and WD4IGX like this.