Crimping Anderson power pole connectors?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AC0FP, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

The male-female thing isn't a problem if you follow standards: Male from the power supply, female on the thing needing power.

2. KD8HLY

KD8HLY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply, I understand that in your opinion,powerpoles may not

be the "best" option. I also agree that they may not be the "best" in all

circumstances. The original post was a question about using a "crimping"

tool or soldering the connection. That question was answered after the

first few posts. I was suggesting that the "poster" make up his "own"

mind,and,I indicated what I prefer to use. Somehow,,it got turned around

to a "rant" about advertising in QST.

I still feel that the powerpole connecters are a good product. They are

easy to use, and I have never had a problem with them. I am sure that

there are other "connectors" that are better,there is always someone

coming up with a better mouse trap.If you know of something better, I

want to know about it ! That's what this "Hobby" is all about !

KD8HLY George

3. KW2P

KW2P Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I might as well throw my 2 cents into this fracas. The biggest advantage of PowerPoles is that they're genderless and polarized. Working with portable DC equipment, I can plug anything into anything--power supplies, batteries, radios, whatever. Gendered is okay if there's a clear line between suppliers and consumers of power but a battery is both, depending on context. Especially when assembling an emergency radio setup, the ability to plug anything into anything, to have cables, extensions, adaptors, supplies, radios, batteries, where there is no male/female distinction is extremely handy. Molexes are gendered.

PowerPoles are also designed to handle heavy cycling with no change in contact resistance and even the small ones will carry 20, 30 amps all day long without heating. I can plug and unplug PowerPoles every day without them wearing out. Molexes are designed for semi-permanent installation, to be disconnected only when servicing the equipment. After a Molex is cycled less than a hundred times, the contact resistance rises because the contacts relax. Countless times I've had to use an icepick or similar tool to restore some tension to the female contacts of a Molex. They're not meant to be cycled a lot.

I have nothing against Molexes. I've designed them into many products, but not where they will be cycled regularly. They make a rock solid connection and they stay put. The two types of connectors are for very different applications.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.