Crimping Anderson power pole connectors?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AC0FP, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the West Mountain Radio crimper, I think I picked it up at Dayton for around $40 or $50. I've never had a problem with it and it works perfectly every time.

2. KD8HLY

KD8HLY Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted my opinion about the Anderson Powerpole connectors because I

have experience with them,also, with the "molex" type connector. I have

40 + years experience as an Auto Mechanic (ASE Master certified). I

KNOW what works for me! I simply gave my OPINION on what I like.I

have never had a problem with the connectors and was simply expressing

my opinion and the options available.I could care less who makes money

from this product ! If you have a problem with the "powerpoles",Lets

hear what it is.

KD8HLY George

3. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a cheap crimper, not a full, and as long as I take a bit of care, and crimp the full length of the fitting, I've had no problems so far.

I like the fact that you don't nee a fancy tool to remove the connectors from PP's, the color coding makes good sense, and they have a higher amp rating than molex - why do radios have two molex connectors per pole?....

If I was not dealing with exclusively 12 volts I might find molex type plugs more compelling, but I don't.

4. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on years of experience, including being a field engineer on commercial aircraft, I can state that Anderson PowerPoles are made to be crimped. When crimped with the properly shaped dies, they make a reliable, low ohmic connection. IF you insist on soldering, please note that when doing so you run the risk of solder wicking into the wire strands beyond the connector and creating a stress point.

5. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

My only "problem" with PowerPoles is that they are not the best option. For 12VDC applications, IMO, molex connectors are the best for the job. 25+ years of use in PC's at 12VDC tends to lead me to that conclusion.

The best of the best (However expensive) would be cannon plug connectors. Water proof, keyed, and locked; and made for a wide array of amperages.

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

The thing about Powerpoles is there is no male or female pins, and no male / female housing. You can't really short one out by dropping them onto a protruding bolt, screw, etc...

For DC work you get red and black housings, some pins and a crimper, and you're done.

7. KN0U

KN0U Ham Member QRZ Page

As for Molex connectors used in PC's I would have to say that 99% of them have been pluged together exactly once and have remained that way until the PC was thrown out. That does not sound like a great test of a plug to me. I'm just saying.....

KO6KL likes this.
  8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. We have a test fixture that has Molex connectors on some cables attached to screw terminals. After probably 750-1000 uses, the female sockets were sprung and had to be bent back into shape to make contact.

We've used all sorts of various connectors over the years, and the Phoenix connectors seem to be the most durable for high-current / frequent use. Not practical for radio stuff though.

9. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just one thing (and the reason why I solder my Power Pole connectors):

You can Unsolder, but you can't Uncrimp! :rolleyes:

10. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

And, how often do you unplug power connectors? 4-5 times per year? Tear down/setup before and after field day?

And, have any of those connectors inside of a PC came loose on you?

Can you reverse the polarity of any of them, even in the dark?

It's true. After about 1000 uses, their likely to require a screwdriver stuck in there to re-bend the pin. No biggy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.