Crimping Anderson power pole connectors?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AC0FP, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KU7PDX

KU7PDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Molex is a brand name of Molex Incorporated. You can find non-Anderson made "Powerpoles" just like you can find non-Molex "Molex" connectors. Also, you can find crimping tools that aren't made by Anderson that work on the various "Powerpole" connectors, just like you can find crimping tools that aren't made by Molex that work on various "Molex" connectors.

If you don't like Powerpoles, that is all you have to say. No need to fabricate misinformation...

2. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not check out each link , or site mentioned , so there may be some duplication .
    The crimp referred here is called the " double-roll-crimp " and has been common in the auto industry for some decades [ else where I'm sure ] , mostly starting when they started putting computers in cars & trucks .
    And most of the tool manufactures have them in sizes from around 28 ga. to 00 ga. - for battery cables , I have most of them , including the West Mountain .
    With about 30+ yrs. in auto repair , I've found that soldering has its place , but if there is movement / flexing , stay away form soldering - the solder makes the wire more subject to metal-fatigue failure .
    With the double-roll-crimp , you get a crimp that does not cut wire inside the crimp & get a crimp that is almost impossible to pull apart , infact on the larger crimpers / wires , like battery cable , I have unfolded the crimp and found that the wire actually fuse's to the crimp connector .
    At this time I will never use the punch style crimper again , and have found that even with standard crimp fittings , that once the plastic is pulled off , that almost any will take the roll-crimp .
    My battery roll crimper is about 3 ft. long .

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    KB4U likes this.
  3. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

To the guys that say Molex.... I've used Molex and the similar Tamiya connectors for many years. They are just not as good, for our purposes, as Anderson Powerpoles. It didn't take me long to find out what all the fuss was about with the Powerpoles.

And the best feature, the "genderless" connection. I'm also seriously considering taking the Molex connector off the backs of my radios and putting in Powerpoles there, too.

I use the Klein 1005 crimper and it does a fine job.

4. AE5JU

Another use for Anderson Powerpoles:

[​IMG]

For portable use. :D

Paul - AE5JU

5. N5USR

N5USR Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here. I resisted Powerpoles for years, in large part due to the visceral reaction I have to anything ARES/RACES/emcomm and of course they were the first ones I saw really pushing the things!

They are a lot better than what I was using, though. Although I probably didn't choose wisely the first time. I just got the "high current" 2-pin plugs Radio Shack sold. Just about impossible to find in the local stores now, and hideously expensive to boot. I tried finding a matching size at Mouser, but using the dimensions provided by RS I wound up with a completely different size connector! I gave in and tried the Powerpoles, never looked back.

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Does your wife know you use her dining room table for a workbench?

7. AE5JU

No, actually that is my workbench, which is covered with floor tiles.

:D

8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a dining room table with one of those folding pads on it.:p

9. N4CR

N4CR Ham Member QRZ Page

I get bags of the 30 amp connectors, 25 pair per bag for $20 and my crimp tool was $15. No shipping. So far I like them. Sure don't see a reason to go political on them.

10. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to see I'm not the only one - I used PP's for a 4 band antenna - jumpers around the insulators to pick your band!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.