ad: Sussex-1

Crazy! A man portable RPi Powered HF Rig in an ammo can go box

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, May 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC7SDA

KC7SDA Ham Member QRZ Page

as an fyi if you want something even better check out the UDRC pi Hat! its basically 2 radio interfaces in one for about $90! it fits on top of the pi, allows for 12v input and you could run the pi headless like in the video!

apparently they are also coming out with an all-in-one kit that also includes a gps receiver in a nice little metal box at some point in the near future.

2. W3TTT

W3TTT Ham Member QRZ Page

I get about a full hour of use (SSB 100w) from a 7 AH battery. Enough for a mountain top expedition.

3. N7MUT

N7MUT Ham Member QRZ Page

The RPi has a big advantage if you're worried about your power budget.

K7LZR likes this.
  4. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I recommend the book by Mark KI0PF, Milspec Radio Gear. I know Mark personally and wrote the review for ER Mag on Vol 2. If you can find a suitable green radio, the need for external widgets decreases.
    The PRC320 is simple and relatively available and not really expensive.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/books/0415.html

5. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ever read "Two Eggs on My Plate" about the resistance using Parasets during the German WW2 occupation?

6. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

My definition of QRO has been redefined. I thought QRO was greater that 100 Watts and QRP was lass than 100 Watts. I have several 50 Cal ammo cans that will take car batteries. I could hook up a 500 Watt amp and be QRO but it could not fit into a back pack let alone be carried easily to the field. Nice use of the newest battery technology and a new way to think of using the Raspberry Pi3B.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

7. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

I think that ammo cans are made much more friendly if you just paint them white. Who needs a camouflaged portable station anyway?

KA9JLM likes this.
  8. N5VAF

N5VAF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think anyone here in Texas would care about the color of my ammo can nor would it be the first thing anyone practicing PCism would notice about me. The 1911 in my drop leg holster would probably be the first thing they see...

WM6P likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm usually not looking to attract the wrong kind of attention from the park ranger whenever I setup at a public park to operate qrp.

pelican case.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    AK2M likes this.
  10. AJ4XM

AJ4XM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a few things set up in these boxes and had the same thought. I like them because they make good battery carriers and cable holders and heatset containers. I used some Rustoleum spray paint (even on the plastics boxes) to make them a less obvious or potentially threatening color than Army Green. I also used some stencils to put Ham Radio and my call sign on the sides. Makes it easier to explain and faster to identify when I am with others. I have done a lot of multi-op field operations, including field day, and always try to color code my cables and equipment and adapters, etc. with some colored electrical tape (I like Orange) and my call sign on it with a sharpie. I sometimes still end up "losing" a small item or two, but labeling and color coding really cuts that down. I also take ARRL handouts with a local club contact noted on them on field operations and pass out quite a few to interested parties. Some people I even see at a club meeting sometimes as they become more interested or in licensing classes or VE sessions.

11. W7JSS

W7JSS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you connect the Rpi to the radio's interface. The Rpi only has audio output and no audio input. The rig control can be put into a USB port, but the audio?

12. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Purple would be a good color. Purple has special meaning in Texas.

N5VAF likes this.
  13. VE3HJL

VE3HJL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a cool idea. Makes for a great grab & go kit.