ad: Amateur-1

CQWPX... Down and out in Seattle!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WG7X, Feb 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

We took a road trip through that area last fall. Through Olympic NP, down through the Redwood Parks and into northern CA. Went through many areas of recent fires and a couple where forestry officials were managing controlled burns for prevention. The worst we saw was just outside of Redding, CA. Complete devastation of homes and property right up to the city limit. I don't know how may burned out homes and vehicles we passed driving east into Redding. We talked to some residents who were in great fear that the fire would cross into town but somehow they managed to hold the line at the city limit. They mentioned the same think as you, that they have not been getting past historic levels of snow melt in the Cascades to fill the reservoirs and the drier, hotter summers have made for some devastating fire seasons. It was heart breaking to see the devastation in person, more so than on the news. We are fortunate here to have an ample supply of fresh water, as long as we can keep the Great Lakes healthy.

WA7PRC likes this.
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yesterday, I cleared about 6" more snow, and drove to the food store. It's good that I got there early, as the wusses were closing early due to a little snow. My current daily driver is 4WD but, when I skiied, I drove a RWD car and didn't have any problem getting around. The most important part is the "nut behind the steering wheel". :)

AF7XT likes this.
  3. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Eight inches of snow is a disaster? Here in upstate New York we call that a few flurries.

WA8OLN, AF7XT, K7MH and 3 others like this.
  4. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's because big snow storms are expected in New York state and the state has the ability to do what is necessary to clear the roads.

Here in western Washington, we do not have the same ability for the simple reason that it rarely even snows at all in the winter. So our state generally does not deal well with snow.

That much is obvious, or it should be.

Take that, and add to it the general lack of experience in the general population about how to drive in poor weather, and you do have the makings of a big problem.

Not a disaster according to me, that hyperbole comes courtesy of the local broadcast media. They have been having a great time hyping up the bad weather, driving around Seattle and other cities with the camera trucks, gleefully pointing out the bad stuff and pontificating all about it. Its a media miracle, and they are playing it up to the max.

Having said that, we apparently are in for another round of the white stuff most of the week. Along with that are what must be record low temperatures. This morning it is 0 degrees F in Olympia, the state capital, and 9 degrees at my place about twenty miles from there. I can't remember if we have ever seen temps that low around here.

So here we are: Tomorrow I have to go back to work. I spend a lot of time driving in my job. I do OK because I learned to drive in a snowy climate. I have driven in all types of weather in many different places both stateside and overseas. I can drive. It's the "other guy" that I worry about. All of my vehicles are either AWD or FWD. I can cope. Can the other guy? Maybe, maybe not: probably not.

That is what makes it a problem.

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I skiied, I would drive several times/Winter 150 miles EACH direction to/from Mission Ridge near Wenatchee... through 4061' Stevens Pass and to/from the parking lot (4570') at Mission Ridge. My vehicle was a '76 Plymouth Arrow (2L, 5spd, RWD). I like that if/when a RWD vehicle starts to slide, just decelerating often straightens things out. In all cases, again:

6. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very pretty pictures! We managed some drizzle here in central Texas.

7. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

I envy you guys and your snowfall, I like snow! The most I have seen this winter was half an hour of wet sleet a couple of weeks ago. It has been a very mild winter here so far, crocus and snowdrops were in flower the second week of January, early daffodils were in flower by the end of January, and I saw today that we have grape hyacinths, hellebore and anemone blanda in flower - yet they have had record snowfalls in northern Austria and Bavaria, three metres (10 feet) of it in a single dump in one area! Crazy weather!

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

20190210_092200.jpg View out the shack porthole looking West this lovely morning, 26*, spinning the dial on HF. Yes, that's the log yard here in CN86jc across the way. Sundays are nice and quiet....

9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's how I like to see snow; in beautiful pictures, HI. It's great on post cards and calendars. The look of an 8 to 10 inch thick scoop of wet heavy snow starts to not look so good after a few dozen snow shovels full. And that feeling seems to multiply every year after age 60.
    P3030032.JPG P3030036.JPG

KG5THG likes this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Next entry in the unofficial weather thread.

Same view, seven hours later. Looks like the prognosticators of doom and gloom and doom and gloom and doom and gloom and doom might have gotten something right, for a change. 20190210_161816.jpg