CQWPX... Down and out in Seattle!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WG7X, Feb 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave,

The picture reminds us of Snowmaggedon. Lovely to look at, but a real pain in the tuchus to dig out of.

K4AGO likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, indeed!! Snow is only fun and pretty the first day, while it's coming down. We live at the top of a 1/2 mile rather steep private road, with the steepest part being the few hundred feet before our lane t-bones a 50 MPH highway... my 4WD doesn't do squat on the stopping side of the equation.

And being a private road, we're just going to have to wait until one of the 10 or so other neighbors calls their buddy with the snow plow to come clear the road since the county has no responsibility for it. We have between 8 and 12 inches depending on where you look so it isn't going away soon. Plus they're saying it's supposed to keep snowing all week. Ugh.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

My back still remembers digging out of that 2 feet plus of snow... and I only had to do a relatively short driveway and a front walk...

The Borough is usually pretty good about the plows, but unfortunately for us, that snowfall caught them with one down for maintenance, another broke down during the initial snowfall, and the third simply couldn't keep up. (Did learn that our old Subaru Outback could make it up the hill when many other vehicles could not, but I digress) At one point during the "morning after", a truck from the VFD came by to "assist" -- and promptly got stuck. The fire fighters borrowed a couple of short 2x4's from me (stuff left over from a project) to wedge under their wheels... and when they got the truck going, took off. Eventually found all of them as the snow finally melted...

The good news was that my antennas survived and worked perfectly. The bad news was, someone managed to take out a pole, and we lost power for 2 days. We ended up staying at my in-laws overnight, so we were fine, but we did have some casualties... namely the tropical fish in the tank, when the house temperature dropped below 50, well...

Good luck, stay safe, and no using a handy Heathkit to melt the snow -- tubes get hot, but not THAT hot...

4. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

UGH!! is right. Dave, just went out to survey the antenna situation. Probably should have left it alone. Since loosening up the wires, one leg of the triangle apparently has fallen in love or is it merely physical attraction, to the tree. Can't catch a break. Some time later I will see if I can disentangle them, but not right now.

Back to the original topic: the side yard seems to have more than the front in terms of snow depth. Almost a foot! It slopes too, so I think I'm done with that for today. I should have taken a picture, but what the heck, everyone gets it from your picture. Snow here ranges from 7 to 12 inches of pure, white sloppy snow...

But, it gets better! Like you mentioned, the National Weather service forecasts even more of the white stuff to come.

OH, Joy!

W7UUU likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

So far so good here, only 6". It's funny watching chickens (and the German Shepherd pup) discover snow for their first time. 4x4 a necessity bere, with all the hills. Oh well, could be worse. At least I got a couple of days worth of firewood put in the house prior. :)

W7UUU likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good deal! I drove the ATV down to the wood shed this morning to chop a few more for the shack wood stove.... super fun zipping around the snow on "Red" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

Red ATV.jpg

KD7SV, K4AGO, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

For days, our weather forecasters have been predicting record or near record snow for Friday and through the week end. So what, we thought, usually when they forecast disaster, they're wrong.

Not this time, darnit! Right now we have seven to eight inches of heavy wet snow. This is relevant soon enough.

So, this week end is the running of one of my favorite on-air activities, the CQWW RTTY contest.

A little definition for those who don't know... Or care, but here goes anyway.

CQ magazine is (or was)the sponsor of this contest. WW means literally that it is a World-Wide contest, which means every one works everyone for score. RTTY is radio-teletype, an old legacy digital mode that I happen to enjoy as do a lot of folks.

So, starting at 0000 UTC on Saturday morning, we all get on and have at it. The format of this contest, just in case anyone cared, is that everyone tries to contact folks with weird call sign prefixe's like mine for additional points. That makes it much more interesting for us weird call sign holders.

Well anyway, on Friday afternoon, the snow started falling, just as predicted. ...And a lot of it too!

So by the time of the contest start, which is about 1600 local, we already had about three inches of wet snow. But, it did not seem to affect my antenna, which is an eighty meter full-wave loop in a fir tree. Sometimes when it snows, the snow builds up on the feed line and causes problems. Not this time.

So far, so good. I continued to play contest until bedtime, which was about 2200 local. It's not like a had a lot of contacts in the log either, only about 60 or so.

Woke up at the usual ungodly time (for a Saturday) of 0500 local. Fired up the rigs and checked the SWR just to see where it was. Looked OK, despite the fact that it was still snowing and apparently had been all night. Remember, at 0500, its still dark around here, so I could not got out and actually look at the antenna.

So, I went to contesting and put a few more into the log. While I was doing this, we began to experience small power surges. My main PC is on an UPS, so no problem there, but I decided to close down the station and go shovel snow. Make the XYL happy and all that.

Holy Crap! We did have a lot of snow! Heavy, wet snow. About 7.5 to 8.0 inches by measurement. I cleared out a bit of the driveway and only then did I look up at the antenna.

Well, the whole thing was so droopy that it was touching or almost touching the roof, and I had been using it all morning or at least until the power dropouts...

So, that's it for me. I spent two hours or more shoveling snow, then trudged through the snow to my support ropes to loosen them enough so that the wind, which was beginning to blow, could do no further damage.

Spent an additional hour knocking snow off of some of our trees. One of the trees had at least one broken branch.

...and as I am typing this, we continue to experience outages, which has now stopped the washing machine and the cable box...

So yeah, the weather man says this will keep occurring through the week-end and into next week. So much for radio activity this week...

Whats, a man to do? BTW today is also the XYL's B-day and we were gonna go out. Not now. Even she gets that.

Would some of you folks in the mid-west mind taking your weather back?[/QUOTE]

Blame it on Global Waqrming.

Thursday we were in the Mid 80's here in North Carolina. Friday, we didn't get above the mid 40's.

I much prefer the cold weather to the hot. The older I get the less I can stand heat.

I do hope you thaw out soon.
    John
    K4AGO

8. K4AGO

Dave,

It's beautiful...

I envy you. We had mid 80's for a high in NC on Thursday and on Friday we didn't get out of the mid 40's.

I hope you have plenty of milk and bread and of course coffee.

Stay warm my friend.
    John
    K4AGO

9. K4AGO

You are well prepared. I kinew that.
    John
    K4AGO

10. K4AGO

Dave,

When you go out, be sure to wear a hat. If that rock above your eye brows gets covered with snow and a avalanch starts they may not be able to find the rest of you until spring. (You know I am just kidding... I am folically challenged too).

I hope you and your misses stay warm and cozy there in paradise. Thanks again for the great photos.

John
    K4AGO

W7UUU likes this.