CQ

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KO4GDE, Sep 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Normally, I'd expect to hear my call and their call. In a contest or pileup, their call alone is fine, but during less frenetic circumstances, it's nice to hear my call so I can be confident it's me they're calling.

N5PAR and WZ7U like this.
  2. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

Car 54 where are you?

3. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yah, TAIN FOAR on that, c'mon!

In the old Novice CW days, we'd call CQ usually, but as an alternative, we'd go "dit di-di-dit dit" (shave and a haircut) and wait for a "dit dit." Then that station would send his own "dit di-di-dit dit" and YOU send "dit dit." This process would repeat, back and forth, for, oh, sometimes QUITE A WHILE! Eventually, one of the stations would say something like "DE WN3PQM." Then the other station would call you, using actual callsigns.

Whereas "CQ" was defined as "the general call," the dit di-di-dit routine was "the novice call." Hihi?

Just to pile on the original topic, as far as I know, CQ is still alive and well. Not sure exactly why it was always frowned upon on 2 meters, particularly on the repeaters. It was apparently replaced with "K3EFR listening," and that sort of thing.

As it is with most things, it comes down to whether you are a ham, or you got your HAM. If you are a ham, go ahead and call CQ -- with my blessing. If you got your HAM, ask the Channel Master for the break, then ask if anybody copies this weak base. Break broke?

W5ESE, WQ4G, W5TTP and 2 others like this.
  4. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear that way too often lately. "Hey dude, you might hear me (or someone) if you weren't key down all the time!" :rolleyes:

KL4BT, WA1GXC, N1YR and 2 others like this.
  5. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, NO WAY!! I was on Ecars a LOT in the early 70s as WA3PQM. Used to take net control now and then. You remember guys like KAY TWO PEE JAY GEE and W1 Dirty Kitchen Sink in Glaustaaah? Maybe you remember my old friend Chuck WA3LQV/K3FT (regrettably SK). A lot of the young guys of the time used to hang out there. Then they turned it into something with membership and dues. Got weird. But you could yell stuff like CHECK-IN, CONTACT, QUERY, or INFO. Or you could ask for a "radio check" to get signal reports. (If you are a HAM, that means you want to know how many pounds you're hitting 'em with.)

Fun times.

6. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, speaking of CW... Instead of CQ, a lot of novices would call KWA KWA KWA. That was followed by TEEE and their callsign.

Some novices used to call NNGT. Mainly WN2's.

WA1GXC likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe we should combine them all. "BREAKER, BREAKER, CQ CONTACT CQ CONTACT QRZ QRZ OVER OVER COME BACK."

8. K3MZM

K3MZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoy calling CQ and usually have pretty good results getting a contact with in 3 or 4 attempts. I just timed myself and it seems that I ramble on for about 25-30 seconds, listen for about 10 seconds and try again. I try to project some enthusiasm while doing it, without talking too fast or loudly.

I don’t mind how someone answers me. My call and theirs, just theirs, breaker-breaker, you’re blowing my ears out, whatever....I’m not picky. After all, we’re doing this for fun. I’ll try to do my part maintaining the traditions of the hobby, but I’m not about to become the CQ protocol police.

W5ESE, AG4RT and WZ7U like this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting, was that more a local or domestic thing or was that kind of recognized globally by other novices?

Fcalls here get taught to call CQ on repeaters. You do hear cq being called now and again by locals as well as DX coming in via IRLP. I also hear CQ being called on DMR. There does not seem to be anything universal though.

Over on reddit there was a thread, "I inherited my Grand Pa's HAMS what is this thing" I cringed expecting the typical QRZ response of the OCD complaining its ham not HAM. Funnily no one actually cared and they just told the person what hear they had. I am pretty sure the person asking was not a HaM, but they got a lot of gear.

OH and I call CQ, its always been CQ, it always will be CQ. HF, Repeaters, DMR, dont care I call CQ and if someone does not like it, its tough shit. Much like what I think about the OCD about Ham, HaM and HAM. HEHE.

WQ4G likes this.
  10. KC0KEK

KC0KEK Ham Member QRZ Page

Like that guy on 10M whose call escapes me at the moment. But he's still useful as a beacon.

N5PAR likes this.