CQ

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KO4GDE, Sep 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

If I heard, "Contact!", I'd stand clear of the prop!

N1YR, PU2OZT, WC5P and 3 others like this.
  2. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just part of a whole shift in ham radio. Imagine the panic when PDC and RAC usage ended.

As for CQ, lot easier to send on cw than contact.
    Mike N3PM

PU2OZT and N1VAU like this.
  3. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

How much information do you need, to know that someone is responding to your CQ? After all, you ARE calling CQ in the HAM BANDS...

Might it be more appropriate to respond to YOUR CQ like this:

Hellooo Mr. N8TGQ... Mr. N8TGQ... This here is WQ4G calling. WQ4G - That's walking quickly 4 god - WQ4G waving a hand at you from the sand hills... You're sure walk'in the dog and tree top tall... How about it Mr. N8TGQ - you got a copy on this ol' WQ4G down here in the Bikini State? Break, break...

Beep!

Dan WQ4G

N4BC likes this.
  4. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like to yell "hey you guys!" into the microphone with the gain turned up to eleven

[​IMG] [​IMG]

KI4WCC, W0AQ, N5PAR and 1 other person like this.
  5. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

i dont know what the to in the northern portions of the bands but down in the southern portions we still call CQ. . . not exactly sure what else we'd do...

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I don't operate voice much, don't have a 600W linear amp, and I have a crappy
    Electro-Voice 621 taxicab dispatcher's mike, I generally try,

"People of Earth, Attention! People of Earth, Attention! This is a voice speaking to you from
    thousands of miles...."

Seems to work.

"Who am I being called by the frequency?"

The whole world of Amateur Radio is under attack! Holy S**t!
    Total terror from beyond the F-2 layer!

QUS? QUM?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    N5PAR, PU2OZT, W4NNF and 1 other person like this.
  7. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

And some ask me why I hang out at the bottom of the bands. No CBers there. Lids? Yeah like always, but I just dial up to 35wpm and scare ‘em away. :)

WC5P likes this.
  8. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

QTW?
    Task assignment b4 the invasion, memorize our Q-Code then autodestroy it, no alien to interfere with our communications.

9. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

If I have to talk through a microphone the first thing out of my mouth is likely to be "Calling all cars" or "2150 to headquarters". Good thing I'm a CW op.

NQ8J likes this.
  10. KI5CAW

KI5CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm an all CW operator and I hear multiple CQs every day. If it's during a contest I respond only with my call. If not I send both their call and mine.
    After that I simply use BK and only ID every 10 minutes. Nowadays a QSO longer than 10 minutes is rare but I always enjoy them.
    My pet peeve is ops who don't leave time for a response. They wait maybe 5 seconds and keep on CQing. I often use a homebrew tube rig and without break-in capability it can take 5 seconds to go from rx to tx. By ten they're back at it.