CQ

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KO4GDE, Sep 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KO4GDE

KO4GDE Ham Member QRZ Page

Do people still use CQ when looking for a contact or is it out of vogue?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

ALL the time on HF.

Never on VHF/UHF FM - but most certainly on VHF/UHF in both CW and SSB

One exception: a lot of the SOTA folks will call CQ SOTA on 146.52 FM - I hear that fairly often, living in an area with a zillion summits

Dave
    W7UUU

K0UO, K4AGO, N2EY and 2 others like this.
  3. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've contacted a good handful of new Generals recently, all saying people told them calling CQ was out moded.

I wish people would stop telling new hams that...it's not true. On HF, of course you call CQ and keep calling as well, it can take a while as you are trying to catch someone tuning along so make the CQ call fairly long and persistent, listen for a bit and call again.

Have fun and welcome to HF.

W5ESE, K0UO, VK6APZ and 2 others like this.
  4. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

Has never been a matter of "vogue," but rather a part of standard operating procedure.
    SOP may well be "out of vogue" due to all sorts of uninformed newcomers.

VK6APZ, WQ4G, W0FS and 5 others like this.
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish more people would call CQ when they think the bands are dead, they might be surprised to hear other stations.

W7DCM, W5ESE, NG0L and 10 others like this.
  6. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was calling "CQ TXQP W5UAA" yesterday right at the start of it on 40 CW. After 5 minutes of nothing, I tuned around. Maybe someone answered and I didn't hear them?

Heard a fellow Texan calling "CQ TXQP" from Midland. I could barely hear him. Made the exchange, tuned around some more. Nothing.

I was going to have a go at it and represent GREG(G) county in the TX QSO Party but I gave up almost immediately.

Checked at regular intervals throughout the day. Heard a "CQ AQP." Was about to do the exchange. He faded out instantly.

Band were very disappointing yesterday. Haven't even checked today. I'm having thoughts maybe my receiver is going deaf?

We're at the bottom of the cycle. Prediction is that December will be the absolute bottom. Maybe next year things will start to finally get better.

I'll do some comparisons between a couple of my receivers to verify my IC-7410 isn't dying. I'd hate to scrap such a great radio. But if it's over, it's over and I'll move on and unbox a new IC-7410.

PU2OZT likes this.
  7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why, and who would tell them that? Is that the CB influence? Calling CQ #IS# what amateur radio is about.

W5ESE, W7EDC and W0FS like this.
  8. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard you calling yesterday, but I can’t remember if I worked you. I think maybe I did or at least I tried. I did work several stations in the TXQP.

9. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The same folks who tell them CW is outmoded.
    The same folks who say "operating conditions here are...".
    The same folks who say "base antenna."
    The same folks who say "first personal here is...".

K2IGO, KN1M, K2MMO and 11 others like this.
  10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone knows CQ is retro. Now I call "Contact!". ;)

When someone answers I reply "This is... (pausing two seconds so I don't double with someone) KA0HCP".

The urban myths that are developing in ham radio are mind boggling. These are actual procedures being circulated and used.

WQ4G, KF5KWO, K4AGO and 3 others like this.