ad: elecraft

CQ youths!

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by VE6WTF, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. VE6WTF

VE6WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a thought...

It would be much easier for youths to get in touch with youths if we made up our own CQ frequencies on each band for youths

What I am proposing is a CW and SSB freq for each band
    Where if you call CQ we know its a youth.
    And it would be nice to just program them into the radio
    And check them all the time.
    Anyone willing to use a system such as this???

2. VA7AAX

VA7AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

yes . i would be

3. KE5FIX

KE5FIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, I would use it. In fact, I was thinking about proposing the same thing.

4. VE6WTF

VE6WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,
    Shall I be the one to come up with the freqeuncies?
    And I will throw them out there
    And we will all work on them just so the suite everones needs, licence class so on and so fourth
    Then we will publish a revised edition?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I like that idea!
    I think 3.5-50 mHz would be a good idea.

i have been thinking about more youth nets since I will be putting up a better antenna and will be getting out better.

My ideas are along the lines of

10 meters SSB
    15 meters PSK-31
    20 meters CW
    40 meters PSK-31
    80 meters CW and/or SSB

I know 10 isn't open much but it will be in a few years.

6. KB1LQD

KB1LQD Ham Member QRZ Page

yep, I tried to start something like this while ago... Probably before this youth board... Id go for it! It should defienetly be run by the arrl and possible in one of their big frequency posts things. it needs to be planned out as not to interfear with any other calling freq or net and so on.... anyways good luck!

7. W8LBO

W8LBO Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember LQD was going to start something like this about 2 years ago or so. It's definitely a good idea. I'd say just dive right in with a couple frequencies and then you can edit them in a week or so with feedback from operators on how well it was. I wouldn't lose any sleep on what frequencies to pick first off. Probably just something in the General portion of the band. Or however that works in Canada I'm not sure. But yeah, anyway, some frequency where pretty much any ham can get on who can get on HF.

8. VA7AAX

VA7AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

anything below 20m is useless. so try to get 2 nets on 40m

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You want to find a memorable frequency, because nets like this have a tendency to stick around for...like...half a century. I would pick frequencies right smack in the middle of the novice bands for CW, not that all youths are novices, or that all novices are youths. But these days, the novice allocations are SEVERELY underused, and this is a great way to burn the cobwebs out of them.

For SSB, I'd pick frequencies just above the DX windows..it will give you much more opportunity to work people other than the "non-youths" (old farts)

Eric

10. KB1LQD

KB1LQD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya! thats a great idea, I use to always be on the novice bands with my tech+!! 40m would be the best but make sure is lower than 7.120 because above that is all birdies from the AM broadcasters... just got to find a clear freaquecy, as well as a good time to (run the net on the "Youth calling" frequecy??) operate, EX: I get out of work at 6pm usually EST, with a 15- 20 minute commute. anyways, my two cents..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.