CQ WW DX CW

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6UV, Nov 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

finished my first day shifts. We did work about a dozen Europeans on 10 meters. Agree that condx during CQWW SSB were better. But for that I was in PJ2 and conditions there are tough to compare to anything stateside.

N2EY, K1LKP and W7UUU like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah pretty rough duty having to play radio from PJ2-land in November :D:D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

K1LKP, W5ESE and WD4ELG like this.
  3. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone's gotta take one for the team.

K1LKP, K9ASE, W5ESE and 5 others like this.
  4. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

So true! Guessing easily 4X the number of Chinese this year over last, and I second W6UV's comparison to the SSB weekend. THAT was a nice weekend.

The morning began here with high broadband noise for two hours. A light mist was falling, but it acted more like solar noise than precip. At this QTH I observed dramatic skew paths and some dead paths. Between 0130-0200 Nov. 28, (while I heard no other Europeans except OH8X and SJ2W), IT9RZU was in and out with strong polar warble. First heard him well beaming west! When turned the beam from west to 30 degrees, his sig azimuth appeared to be moving, like he was switching or steering his antenna as I turned mine. It was freaky!

Toward SA, could work LU, PY and CX, but closer HK, OA, and YV stations just didn't hear me. Wasn't playing for score; just didn't like the football games today, so no matter the missed Qs. Heard you, Dave, calling a SA stn. That was the first I've heard you SE of Portland. 73

W7UUU and K1LKP like this.
  5. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

First contest since 2009. Single band 40 meter.
    One hour and twenty seven minutes operating time Friday night beginning at 0000Z.
    Made 31 Q's, 30 were multipliers with 20 countries and 10 zones.
    At my qth (Michigan) multipath flutter was terrible and really distorted some signals.
    Surprised myself by being able to copy the speed merchants
    But a couple were flat out no copy. Just a buzz with no letter spacing and no rhythm - Their loss (shrug) not mine.
    If they were to add just 1 dit extra space between the letters I'll bet their score would go up.
    I have a 3 strikes rule. If I can't copy your call after 3 times - Twist the big dial!
    And there were the No-ID merchants, Same deal. You work 3 stations with no ID, I move on.

K1LKP, W5ESE, KC1NY and 2 others like this.
  6. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm. That's strange, because I'd expect most of these guys will be using memory keyers, which usually get the character and letter spacing dead perfect.

My pet peeve is the guy with a long call, something like WQ0QQQ, who will send his call in reply to a CQ TEST at 10 WPM, and send it twice for good measure! By that time he finishes, the DX will have already worked 2-3 other guys. I've heard more than a few of this type in the contest this weekend.

K1LKP and KP4SX like this.
  7. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just closed and uploaded this year's log. I am by no means a powerhouse contest station or operator -- strictly a fun run for me. The important thing for me is to enjoy the experience, and if possible, do better than last year.

Bingo on both counts. Conditions were better than last year, and I now have a TS-590SG rather than the 11-year old TS-590S, so my listening experience was much more comfortable. Made 96 contacts, claimed points this year were about 23K (compared to 15K last year). Added a couple of new DXCC entities, too. My "contest speed" started out at around 25 WPM, but by the end I was happy at up to 35 or higher WPM. For my few hours' off-and-on effort, I'll take this as a definite win.

Not bad for an old geezer with 100 watts and a stick.

K1LKP and WZ7U like this.
  8. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked Rodrigues Island (3B9FR) on 10m this morning.

As for the contest, I dabbled for a couple hours on 80 and 40m, made about 100 contacts (and 20 CQ zones) then lost interest and quit. Not a bad haul for very little time and rough band conditions.

9. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Less than 15 hours with the Type 7 yielded this:

20211128_190416.jpg

18% improvement in score over last year

10% improvement in number of Qs

a bit more than 1% improvement in multipliers

Now to see how many new DXCC entities resulted.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    N7VGO, N2SR and W7UUU like this.
  10. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sweet! Congrats.

I heard 3B8M a few times on 20, but didn't even listen on ten. Robert slipped in unnoticed apparently. I find no announcement of this operation, nor any hits on the RBN. He used to be very active and liked to visit nearby islands. On 40 CW he was a regular in the 1980s. Catching him LP from CA was a sure clue good prop was in play.

W4HWD and W7UUU like this.