CQ WW DX CW

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6UV, Nov 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone operating this contest?

Conditions are better than they were last year, but not nearly as good as we had for the CQ WW DX phone contest last month. Solid openings on 15M, but 10M is all but dead except for locals, who are calling CQ and not getting much action.

N3AWS, W4KYR and K1LKP like this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found the bands very disappointing in regard to interesting DX available. I have also found that the past year, devoted mostly to FT8, did nothing good to my CW copy speed. Another mark on my "Silver Moments" chart!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    K1LKP likes this.
  4. W6UV

I suspect that a lot of groups who would otherwise have gone to interesting places to operate the contest have deferred their plans until covid is over.

W5ESE, N3AWS, K1LKP and 1 other person like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s been nice to see many of the “regulars” back on the air. A lot, maybe most, of the M/M stations were absent last year due to international travel restrictions.

K1LKP likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What surprises me is the big uptick in BY stations - 14.005 to 14.030 is just packed with BY stations. I've noticed this uptick on FT8 as well. Just interesting - an observation as I've not seen this before.

And yes - MANY of the "regulars" are playing as well. I'm just dabbling - looking for prefixes that are unusual mostly.

Dave
    W7UUU

K1LKP, WG7X, WD4ELG and 1 other person like this.
  7. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Assuming it will ever be 'over'. :(

K1LKP, PU2OZT and K1OIK like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Not hearing anything approaching ATNO status for me but LOTS of activity! No shortage of stations to work.

Dave
    W7UUU

K1LKP, WG7X, WD4ELG and 1 other person like this.
  9. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For me, being in The City, it all depends upon how long my old ears can tolerate the noise all around the signals. I have popped in and out this afternoon, made a couple of dozen contacts, but only one or two "exciting" prefixes.

Still, the more of us get out there and make noise, the more likely the DX stations will continue to participate. It is a good "touch-up" to my copy speed. I find many DX ops this year running in excess of 30 WPM on 40 meters. It took me a few minutes of listening before I felt confident that I could copy as needed, then it was "back in the saddle again."

K1LKP likes this.
  10. W6UV

Now in nighttime mode. 40M is rough going because I haven't had time to get my 4 el yagi back up on the tower and am stuck with a vertical, which radiates poorly in all directions, although I did manage to snag 3B8M on 40M.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    K1LKP and WD4ELG like this.