ad: M2Ant-1

CQ WW CW at PJ2T opportunity

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Sep 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hotshot CW contesters might explore this. The following is from N7NR:
    $900 for a few days operating one of the world's best ham stations from a great location sounds like a good deal.:) The contest is November 26-28 this year and it certainly opens the bands.:p

I'd assume only well experienced CW contesters might be welcomed or interested, but thought I'd post this here in case someone falls into this category.

2. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh man, I was kind of hoping it would be in early Dec. Would have made a nice honeymoon!

3. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Alas, at my advanced age of 57 I just don't have the stamina anymore...plus work really has me bogged down. If I could rewind 25 years...

It's true what they say - youth is wasted on the young.

W5BIB likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

Most of the ops are that age or older.:)

Youth may be wasted on the young, but it's mostly the older folks that have the spare time and money, and also operating experience, for this.:p

5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a pity that I'm too young)))

W5BIB likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

That's funny.

I can't work a contest for 48 hours, and never could. But that's why the multiop stations often rotate operators. I used to be good for about 4 hours without a break, then a short break, and good for another 4 hours...and then rotate to the next op. It's GREAT if the "next op" was "second chair" with headphones, and possibly even logging (computer) so when the rotation occurs, he already has a really good feel for everything needed and can just take over the full operation with no noticeable transition time.

Today, I doubt I could do even the four hours effectively, although if one commands a "run" frequency with good propagation, those four hours fly by pretty fast.

WD4ELG likes this.
  7. US7IGN

This is also my favorite scheme. But it is usually very difficult for me to endure 24h. Considering that this usually happens in the forest in the back seat of a car in any weather)

8. WB2WIK

I can't endure 24h either.

But multiop stations do make it more "fun" than sitting in the back seat of a car in any weather.:)

Most of the "big" operations have enough operators to rotate them often enough to prevent burn-out, provide excellent meals, resting places, and discussion among the ops who aren't actually running stations.

Some younger ops can indeed do an "iron man" stint, take no real meals and just snack on stuff they can eat while operating, etc. but I'm definitely not one of them.:p

9. US7IGN

Unfortunately, I do not have such stations in direct accessibility. A couple of times there were attempts to get a small company together to participate in test, but I was disappointed. For the rest of the "participants" it was just another binge, and working in the test when only you are at the radio, and the others around you make noise and distract you, much worse than alone in the back seat of a car in the forest ...

In the end, I only compete with myself. But for some reason, everyone refuses to prove their superiority in similar conditions :D

DM2TT and WZ7U like this.