ad: ProAudio-1

CQ WPX RTTY. How did it go?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WG7X, Feb 10, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So another contest weekend has come and gone.

I really like RTTY contests for some reason, so I spent some time doing it this weekend. Conditions were not all that great but what the heck. I am kind of band limited right now anyway due to antenna issues so it was OK that little or no activity was on bands above twenty meters.

Still managed about 375 "Q's". Mostly stateside did not hear Alaska, which is usually an easy one from here. Almost missed Hawaii too, but managed to work a couple of them late in the contest. Not many DX either although managed to work CT3. Madeira Islands on 80!

So, how did you guys make out?

Any problems with the CQWPX web site? It did not work for me. Something is either wrong there or something is wrong with me... Have not seen any complaints on the contesting.com reflector about it yet, so its most likely me...

2. N9RVB

N9RVB Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoy RTTY as well. The contest was a great workout for my new 590SG. What a fantastic upgrade; I'm loving this radio! It's filtering / roofing filters made contacts possible that never would have been possible with my old radio.

I made 100 contacts, which is a decent amount for me. I'm not a contester, I just like to play radio, so I won't be submitting any logs other than to LOTW. Worked several EU and SA stations, and Alaska.

Screenshot from my SDR below was 40m about 2100z Sunday.

n9rvb

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Jumped in for a few contacts. I wanted to run my AEA (Timewave) PK-900 TU which has been on the shelf for a few years. It still works great. I was considering the PSK mod for it. Sure no lack of activity.

4. K1VW

K1VW Ham Member QRZ Page

I like RTTY contesting too, and I was on. I have to say 20m during the day was the most congested I've ever seen it, and 40m at night as shown above. There were a lot of signals jam packed together, and trying to isolate them was a challenge. I'm not a serious contester, an hour here and there between chores and TV. I mostly look for multipliers and hope I'll find some new country I don't have. From my house in Maine with a dipole I get Eastern Europe a lot.

Having a K1 call isn't so great in a Prefix contest... everyone hits one of those early on. WG7X is a good call for this contest... everyone is going to want that.

K3XR likes this.