ad: AntWorld-1

CQ WPX CW: Tips from the Contest Crew

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, May 23, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_110_WPXCW_Thumbnail02.jpg

The Contest Crew gathered to share some valuable tips and tricks to help you make the most of the CQ WPX CW weekend. Whether you're a new contester or a seasoned competitor, you'll find something useful from the insights offered by Randy Thompson K5ZD, Dan Craig N6MJ, Chris Hurlbut KL9A, and the Crew's newcomer, Bill Fehring W9KKN. Each operator provides a glimpse into their unique contest plans as ND7K in Arizona, KM7W in Montana, and AK1W in Massachusetts. Join us and get ready for the next major contest of 2024!

YD5ARA, VK3SQ, 4X1ST and 3 others like this.
  2. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Another very informative video! Even though I've been regularly contesting for the last 14 years, I picked up a few pointers from the crew, and posted a decent score this past weekend from my HOA antenna restricted home. I don't know the crew's final scores, but I worked Dan a few times and he had over 3,700 Q's at 1130Z Sunday from the propagation black hole of AZ at ND7K.

W1DED likes this.
  3. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

At 21:14 Randy talks about when "...as the numbers get north of a thousand you get a lot more repeats." I noticed this not only for the ops I worked but for myself also. I wonder if is due operator copy ability, confidence, a greater chance of a 4-digit number coinciding with QSB/noise or all of the above. All things equal the odds of miscopying 4-digits is 33% greater than 3-digits so maybe it's a confidence thing; greater doubt with the longer serial number. To check myself I ran an experiment with LCWO sending 3-digit Code Groups and then 4-digit Code Groups. I found no difference in the effort needed to copy either given the clean, no noise LCWO code groups. For me I think I fall into the all of the above category where I worry if I copied it correctly through the noise. In any event we are all in the same boat once we get to sending 4-digit serial numbers so it's a wash. The WPX was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to next year.

W1DED likes this.
  4. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it's a case of being caught off guard in astonishment when some big gun gives out a 4-digit number five hours into the contest:p.

4X1ST, WA9FZB and W1DED like this.