ad: cq2k-1

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by K6DWI, Oct 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6DWI

K6DWI Ham Member QRZ Page

FR4TT and M0YRX like this.
  2. K6DWI

K6DWI Ham Member QRZ Page

Posted Oct 17

3. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I predict that at 0001Z Oct 30, there will be a thread started here complaining about those darned contesters taking over the non-WARC bands.

W1BR, MW7OFS and KD0BSY like this.
  4. WS7X

WS7X Ham Member QRZ Page

Let it begin! CQ DX CQ DX...59 ...

N6QLH and KD2UHD like this.
  5. KD0BSY

KD0BSY Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in Colorado, but I'll be working the contest in AZ. Do I need to operate as W7 /Kd0bsy so my call matches my cq zone (normally 04 vs 03)? Quite a mouthful when dx contesting!

6. KE5CVM

KE5CVM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How do I use the QRZ.com log to utilize a log for this contest?

7. N2ATP

N2ATP Ham Member QRZ Page

just went on to see whats happening -- all i got to say its a QRM Radio mess -- got a headache just trying to figure out call signs -- i shut down

8. WS7X

WS7X Ham Member QRZ Page

It was absolutely the most fun CQWW contest in several years. Was it a QRM nightmare? You betcha! But that is part of it. No different than a pile up for a rare dx entity. The propagation was fantastic and the open 10 and 15 meter bands made for more fun. I worked dx stations with 20 watts with real signals near 59. Other times I needed more power. But only because I didn't want to call and call and call. The dx stations on the other end of the pile up are hearing hundreds of people calling them and most at the same time. I ended up doing a lot more in this contest because it was a great fun. There are still the hams who refuse to learn the proper exchange but call someone clearly contesting. People who don't know their cq zone and are told nope, not putting you in the log if you're not playing in the contest. Or no, not going to have a qso with you right now. Anyway, I and many many others had a good CQWW contest. QRM mess and all!

N6QLH, K0UO and K1THE like this.
  9. WA9PND

WA9PND XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it was great fun. I'm a 'Casual Contester' and had a limited amount of time to put in, but managed over 100 QSO's from Japan to Germany from the black hole of the midwest using 100W and an OCFD at 25 ft. Got to disagree a bit on the comment on what happens when a non-contester calls in. In most cases I heard, the contesters were very patient in explaining things to the non-contester, even to the extent of determining their CQz for them, and did log them.

N6QLH likes this.
  10. KM4OZ

KM4OZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Another 100 watts and a wire guy. One OCF dipole in a suburban lot, using a 30 year old ICOM 765. Usually skip 15 M since the OCF doesn't load as easily but second day I got out the external tuner to load on 15 and boy glad I did! In evening toward the end managed 5 JA stations on 15M. (quiet signals but almost no pile up or QRM) Managed 346 contacts while still meeting some family responsibilities. Low 200,000's score. Definitely improved my listening skills since no DSP signal processing! Most Dx was patient to confirm call. The most violated rule seemed to be the endless "QRZ" with no ID from some. And the one unpleasant US chap who wouldn't log with me while lecturing on how it is "Not a US contest" even though I just needed the zone multiplier. Wow! But the vast majority were nice in the context of a "contest" and resulting RF mayhem. So my "respectable" score won't win me anything except maybe (or not) "high score in GA with low power" or something, but my main point it is possible to be competitive on the cheap, have fun, log some new ones and learn a lot about propagation at different times on different bands.
    With no tower, I did pay the tree professionals maybe $200 (on top of other tree work) to get my antenna pulleys up at 70 feet on one end and 55 feet on the other. $600 for the transceiver/mike 2 years ago. $100 tuner. $200 worth of ground rods/lightening/bonding protection. Building a little audio DSP kit to supplement the rigs old school bandpass for SSB. (No improvement needed on CW with xtal filter!) Patience, tenacity, timing. You know, like most things in life...

Well, OK there's the coax, balun, wire for antenna. Next year I might be able to get a spider or hex beam up 50 feet on a "former tree" left standing after topping and trimming, as it was too near house for safety. Cedar, so should last a few years.