ad: elecraft

CQ to "Jump-Start" Print Edition With January Issue - November and December Issues to be Digital Onl

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2HAT, Dec 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Finally an Official Announcement.

CQ to "Jump-Start" Print Edition With January Issue - November and December Issues to be Digital Only

[​IMG]
    Readers of CQ magazine's print edition are well aware we have been behind schedule on printing and mailing our issues on a timely basis. We apologize for these delays, which resulted from a variety of little things going wrong, all at the same time.

Rather than trying to play catch-up over the course of the next several months, we have made the decision to allow the November and December 2017 issues to remain as digital-only issues, and to jump-start our print edition with the January 2018 issue. This will enable us to get back and stay on schedule as we move toward our 75th anniversary of serving the amateur radio community. The January issue is at the printer being processed right now. Please note: All print subscriptions are being extended for two months.

Anyone may access the digital editions of the November and December issues using the following links:
    CQ December 2017: http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue=416437244&o=ext
    CQ November 2017: http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue=416434275&o=ext
    Please view in Firefox.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    Posted by CQ Newsroom at 3:27 PM

http://cqnewsroom.blogspot.com/

N4VER and (deleted member) like this.
  2. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish CQ magazine the best. I had subscriptions in the past. Enjoyed the articles and commentary. We need a balance between the other great magazine and CQ. But for me, it is too little too late. Perhaps I will rethink getting a subscription once I hear good stories about on time delivery of the printed medium. Good luck.

W2MJP, W4KVW, KK4ME and 6 others like this.
  3. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I could believe them. This has been going on too long. This is NOT a recent development. Be wary if you are a print sub. I won't be after this one runs out. Articles are great, no issues with the magazine. I just have issues with ACTUALLY GETTING ONE ON TIME OR AT ALL! Well, on the Brightside, I won't have to worry about this too much longer. I will switch to Digi version to see if this makes a difference. I hesitate to do so because you can't substitute paper in hand for something you read on a tablet or phone. It is not the same. Don't believe me? Try building something out of the mag using your phone for reference...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    VK6APZ/SK2022, KR9Z, KG5QLS and 2 others like this.
  4. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

You won't be hearing any. This has gone on for at least 4 years that I'm aware of. even the local electronics store that has them for sale does not get them occasionally.

5. N0GB

N0GB Ham Member QRZ Page

adobe flash/ firefox? I'm out.

N0BML, W4AAX, N3HOE and 2 others like this.
  6. N2DV

N2DV Ham Member QRZ Page

I too am concerned about the future of CQ, great articles and information, and an editorial perspective that is not always in "lock step" with the League that is refreshing. If they go the way of 73 magazine, I regret there will be no dissenting voice to balance those coming out of Newington. While I prefer a paper magazine, and don't mind paying a premium, clearly they're struggling to make that work, so I'll take a digital version, as opposed to nothing at all, but PLEASE, Rich and the rest of the gang at CQ reconsider the "Zinio" flash based reader - it cumbersome, and requires the reader to be connected. I much prefer the PDF version that "The Spectrum Monitor" ( ex Monitoring times ) publish in. It allows me to download to my tablet and read offline at my leisure or where it is not possible to be connected while flying - some constructive input from a loyal, longtime reader

KF4ZKU, AF4RK, W4AAX and 2 others like this.
  7. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same thing happened to me.

W4AAX likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Stick a fork in 'em. They're dead, Jim.

With the death of Ham Radio and 73 magazines, I thought... "Well, CQ will get bigger and more stable and better. How could they not?" Nope. They never did. Frankly World Radio was a superior magazine...until CQ bought it and killed it. Ugly covers, too much fluff, technical/construction articles loaded with errors. That's been the CQ way for 30 plus years. I would check in with them by picking up a copy on the newsstand every once in a while. Nope. No change. When they disappeared from the magazine racks of even the big bookstores a while ago, I figured it was only a matter of time... Frankly, I'd be surprised if they get another print issue out the door. And I don't believe they will long endure as digital only, either.

Who knows? With CQ likely to soon be out of the running, someone may decide there is indeed a place for a second ham radio magazine, maybe even a print one.

N0GB likes this.
  9. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Print media is a thing of the past. Only us old timers appreciate it. The younger generations will never adopt it. QST will be there soon to.

W4KVW, KF4ZKU, VK4HAT and 5 others like this.
  10. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Jump start? The only jumping anyone will be doing is jumping up and down when in two or three months they are back to their old tricks.

KC0KEK likes this.
  11. W4NNF

Likely still the same proprietary format they use now for the digital edition. No reason to change that.

12. W4NNF

Frankly, CQ's problems have nothing to do with digital this or digital that. Their problems are nothing new, and appear to be a long running corporate culture. Go back and read up on Wayne Green's adventures with them 60 years ago. :)

The irony is that hobby magazines are some of the only magazines that are still doing well right now and they cannot even take advantage of that.

13. W4NNF

Yep, the same old tricks they've played since always. They always had a reputation, at least, for cutting corners. Heck, a buddy of mine STILL hasn't been paid for an article on 2-meter packet radio he did for them. LOL

N3HOE and N0GB like this.
  14. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I fear that they have done some damage this time that they may be unable to recover from. How many saps do they think are going to keep feeding this pig? There has to be a break even point to sustain the print magazine, and they have to be teetering close to it. Each episode gets them closer to the brink. Dick Ross must either have a huge ego or an even huger bank roll.

W4NNF likes this.
  15. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a new subscriber. Always willing to give things a chance. I know they take a while to get moving and they don't respond well to customer inquiries. If they want me to renew, then I hope they don't miss an issue in 2018. I like their magazine and enjoy their contests. It will be sad to see it die.

KF5VDX likes this.