CQ "Test", What Does That Actually Mean ?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by K2WH, Jan 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Every contest I have participated in to give out points, (right now the VHF contest), most or many stations on FT8, 6 Meters, are calling "CQ Test".

Does that mean they don't want you to connect to them or they do ?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Short for "CQ Contest"

Dave
    W7UUU

K0UO, KD8DEY, WA7PRC and 2 others like this.
  3. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ignore. UUU beat me to it.

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think that most folks who have been around the hobby for more than a very short time understand that during a contest operation "CQ Test" means "CQ Contest". Even a novice would likely quickly figure it out.

K0UO, WG7X and W7UUU like this.
  5. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope, never knew it probably because I don't do CW now.

Did so 40 years ago but not anymore.

UUU, please close this because I have a feeling its about to get ugly.

6. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It has nothing to do with CW. On the air, when there is more than one contest though, it can get confusing. Calling CQ Test is a bit of shorthand. The "real contest" operators would shorten it even more, like this: For the North American QSO party, which ran 12 hours on Saturday most of the experienced operators were simply calling CQ NA. We do the same on CW or RTTY CQ, followed by a short version of the contest name. For the recent ARRL RTTY Roundup we used CQ RU.

But you already knew all this, right?

K3XR likes this.
  7. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

8. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been calling "CQ TEST W5UAA" on 50.090 since yesterday. I've seen some spots on 6M, but I don't hear them. Still looking for my 1st QSO for the ARRL VHF conTEST. Only hours left... This may be the first contest I worked where I got zero points.

WQ4G likes this.
  9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Darn, forgot the VHF Contest was on this weekend. I had done well in previous years.
    High sunspots and few contacts still took 1st Place. :)

[​IMG]

10. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

That, and a means of appearing on reversebeacon.net without having to talk to anyone.

N5SMO and W1BR like this.