ad: elecraft

CQ or Pounce: An FT8 Experiment!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD9LFZ, Jul 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WC9D

WC9D Ham Member QRZ Page

Leah,

Great video. Thanks so much.
    Just a couple of comments; I noted that you were concerned about duplicative contacts. JT Alert which integrates with WSJT will help you solve that problem. Also if you don’t have a logging program there is a very good free one called LOG4OM. It integrates very nicely with JT Alert and WSJT (and M1MM) and works well with the Icom 7300. If you log something in WSJT and have LOG4OM open it will load that contact automatically to LOG4OM where it is easy to get to LOTW and other programs.
    Thanks again. Perhaps we can do an exchange on FT8 someday.

Dick

WC9D

2. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that you have dipped into the world of wsjt-x, I will be interested to see what you think of js8call. Hopefully you will give that a look!

AC1IZ and KD9LFZ like this.
  3. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

as a footnote to a footnote, ( i stop there with the footnotes :) ), look into installing the jt alert software this runs in conjunction with wsjt quite seamlessly it display in a seperate window all the active calls on the band, and by going into the settings you can change the colours so that you can sort to worked before, new dxcc,new grid square, new band,new call, a absoulute boon you then do not end up working the same op twice on the same band, this software will also play alert sounds ,and send your adifs from wsjt to the logging program of choice, and also keep your logs up dated for any particular band/grid chasing that you might want to do,

Tip 2 , get a comfy chair :), if you are going to spend more than 30 mins chasing ft8 a comfy chair is a must

Tip 3, develop your fastest finger first, by this i mean have your hand on the mouse, and as soon as the radio clicks off on the last TX in a cycle ,re click it to start the next TX cycle (hence the fastest finger first)

Tip 4 make sure your wsjt is set in the program settings to automatically log the qso (you can have it display a qso confirm button too), this stops missing logging that elusive DE (Dela rare stn ), or even more elusive state Hawaii HI ( no i dont have it :( )

Tip 5, most important believe in yourself :) , if you believe that you can rack up fast Qsos you will do so, on a good session i can log 60 a hour

Tip 6, check the other bands out, for me 30m always gives me dx of the south America variety, as well as multiple US grid squares

Tip 7, use the free form chat messenger within jt alert when you have a pileup (if the other party is using it of course), and tell them that they are number 4 or 5 in the list, or if they are a weak signal to you, you can ask them if they can hear you, and if necessary you can move up or down the waterfall accordingly, Tip 3 definitely helps with this :)

Tip 8 along with Tip 5 be confident that that Dx has your name on it,even if you have to have multiple attempts @ it, also using PSK Reporter full screen as the GUI, will show you were you are being heard within a 15 minute time frame, and this will give you a better idea how your setup is performing

And finally for the nay sayers please view attached screen grab from last night on 30m FT8, fastest Qso was 2 cycles DX stn too, 103 logged in between letting my dog out out and refilling my coffee mug, all with 320 w, on my DX Commander Vertical

Hope this Helps you, bear in mind we all have to start somewhere, i was not shown how to do psk 31/63 , i taught myself, and i worked through gremlins with FT8 when i first started using it and FT4 when it came out, Digital is not every ones cup of Tea, but for me i have approx 19,000 digital contacts over both my callsigns ,and have loved every minute of it

73s De Kevin M6ENP & now G2KS Captureqrz.done1.jpg

4. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KG8CX

KG8CX Ham Member QRZ Page

What a sparkplug presentation!! You are a great example of a motivated young ham. BTW, welcome to Y.A.C.H.T. You will be an inspiration to many of our young hams.

KD9LFZ likes this.
  6. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HEY LEAH!!! Great presentation about your experience with "FT-8" SEARCH OR POUNCE!!! We NEED a lot more young adults like yourself to "Spread-the-Word" about ALL THE COOL STUFF that Ham Radio gives to ALL OF US, but ESPECIALLY TO GUYS YOUR "AGE"!!! You're THE FUTURE of OUR HOBBY, & WITH YOUR "GUNG-HO ATTITUDE" I'm absolutely SURE THE HOBBY ISN'T GOING TO FADE AWAY!!! And to your DAD & MOM THEY RAISED A GREAT KID !!!

Love your various presentations thru the months here on "QRZ"!!! TO ALL THEY'RE (WORTH WATCHING)!!!

I've been a HAM (LITERALLY) since 1962 & will never give up on OUR HOBBY!!!

Jim-NN6EE

7. K2WO

K2WO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What a fantastic video! Leah was outstanding and you could just feel and see her enthusiasm for ham radio. She should be hired by the ARRL as Ambassador for The Future of Ham Radio. Great to see a young person so involved with the hobby. Great job and thanks for sharing. 73, George K2WO

8. KD9LFZ

KD9LFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely check those out! See you on FT8!

9. KD9LFZ

Thanks for the support I hope you enjoy my future videos!

10. KD9LFZ

Thank you so much for the support!!! I can't wait to meet more young hams and make more awesome videos!!!

11. KD9LFZ

I definitely have screen-shotted this and I will use this in the future in order to make the most out of my FT8 sessions! Thank you so much for all the good tips and for helping a younger ham learn how learn and get better in the hobby! I really appreciate the time you spent in writing this so that I can become a better operator. I hope to make a contact with you in the future!

12. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

likewise dr om,i have recently worked El Salvador YS1RR on 80m @ 02:19 am UK time, i had been to visit some friends and on returning i made a coffee and decided to play 80m for a bit, and he was the first one of that 22 qso session, DX station and 21 others before bed perfect :)

13. KI5JWR

KI5JWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing the FT8 video. I have been wanting to try it. Just need the right rig and PC. Soon I hope.

14. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RIGHT ON LEAH!!! YOU DESERVE THE ACCOLADES!!! :)

NN6EE-Jim

KD9LFZ likes this.
  15. N4KIN

N4KIN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job Leah!

KD9LFZ likes this.