ad: ProAudio-1

CQ Magazine

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WR3V, Oct 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB8NUT

WB8NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not going to rave about RadCom for RSGB, but did want to mention that my November issue arrived yesterday. Amazing that they can get a magazine to me from overseas on-time, but CQ cannot perform simple domestic delivery. QST, RadCom and several QRP publications are really all I need. If CQ went away tomorrow, who would really notice? Last time I saw any figures I think they only have ~20,000 subscribers. That figure probably continues to go down since I doubt many renew when they don't receive a magazine. Heck, still waiting for the last 1 + year of CQ that they screwed me out of which is why I will never buy another product or magazine from that company.

There are too many sources of information on the hobby available on the Internet today so really all we need are the publications from the amateur related organizations in each country. Ham Radio is not a political organization so we really don't need the so-called independent voice. Independent voice for what? Arguing over which frequency band is better or which digital mode is better?

BTW, that independent voice shot itself in the foot a while back when it promoted Fusion over D-Star. I think that is when Icom pulled its ads. Sometimes that independent voice can actually be a foot in the mouth.

2. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Try SPRAT: http://www.gqrp.com/sprat.htm

3. WB8NUT

Yup, Sprat is very good as is QRP Quarterly http://www.qrparci.org/

And surprising, Sprat comes from the UK on time and domestically, so does QRP Quarterly.

When you deal with quality, you get quality.

4. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I'm highjacking my own thread, but, is it me, or does it seem that certain call signs seem to appear in darn near every discussion topic on this website. (not you NUT, you only chime in when it is relevant). If these 'experts spent as much time operating as they do bloviating here, the bands would be alive with activity. I think that you all know to whom I refer, just look at this thread, for example.

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Just an aside: As much as we hate seeing magazines full of ads, they do have value: You can see who makes what and if it's a name you're unfamiliar with then it may be worth checking out their wares/services.

...then hams would complain that the bands are too crowded. : P

I'm one of those posters who's on here frequently (and have no claim to be an expert in anything) but I hope that I entertain, inform, and enlighten and not bloviate. In my case, I live in a worst-case scenario for hamming: very tiny lot ringed by on-property power lines, all in a steep, narrow valley--I could warm clouds and rocks with HF and VHF and that's about it.

6. WB8NUT

Don't forget to check out the Special Christmas advertising section in the December issue of CQ. Plenty of great gift ideas for hams. Should be arriving in your mailboxes this coming February!

WU8Y likes this.
  7. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

:D:D:D:D:D

WU8Y likes this.
  8. W5WN

W5WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rich, I am curious why, as a long-time ham, you recently bought that house? Certainly, there must have been something available more ham radio friendly.

9. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of the advertisers voted with their pocketbooks by withdrawing their ads.

10. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point, I still haven't received my October print issue, and it's half past November. Hello, is anybody home on Long Island? Have you no pride?