CQ Magazine

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WR3V, Oct 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KR4BD

KR4BD Ham Member QRZ Page

Your October issue should be arriving soon. I got mine two days ago..... Of course, much of the news was outdated.

2. W7JYJ

W7JYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Several months ago I counted about 42 display ad advertisers in CQ. More recently I counted 35.... Kenwood and Yaesu had ads, but ICOM was MIA. Not a good sign.

Glad to hear that the October print issue is starting to show up in snail mail boxes. I've not yet received mine.

--Larry, W7JYJ

3. KA2UFP

KA2UFP Ham Member QRZ Page

... 73 Magazine was the Best ...

WB8NUT likes this.
  4. WB8NUT

WB8NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom has been out of CQ for some time now. I assume they realized it is a waste of money. The circulation is so low it probably is not worth it to advertise there now. The others probably just do it out of habit. Or, Icom may have gotten pissed off when CQ started promoting Fusion over D-Star. Or, it could be a combination of both issues.

In any case, circulation is low and advertisers want to go where they get more bang for the buck.....aka......exposure. I think you will continue to see a gradual decline in display ads with CQ over time.

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom is also currently riding a wave of popularity that isn't shared by other vendors... and it should allow them to be picky with where they drop their advertising Yen.

6. W9RDC

W9RDC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just received my October CQ today. After seeing this thread, I had to go look to see which month's issue it was. I guess I don't look to it for information that would be stale if even just a month late.

At my level I think CQ and QST compliment each other well enough to keep me subscribed.

7. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Curious how the content of the magazine is? Good articles, relevant, construction, etc. Not concerned with "operating" stuff.

8. W7JYJ

W7JYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Dec 7th and the November print issue hasn't shown up yet. And the CQ website still shows the November issue front page, index, etc.
    However, searhcing the 'Net with "Dec 2017 CQ Magazine PDF" will bring up the FB snowy Christmas scene on the Dec cover and a
    link to download the Dec issue.... I guess CQ is behind on paying their webmaster otherwise I'd think that they'd have the Dec issue's
    cover, index, etc on their own website! If I'm lucky I might get the Nov print issue before Christmas and the Dec issue by late Jan.
    Looks like 38 display ad advertisers, not including CQ, in the Dec issue. A marginal improvement over recent past issues. The Dec issue
    does appear to have several interesting articles. I do hope my print edition arrives sooner rather than later... Not enjoyable/relaxing to read
    on a computer screen.

9. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Only in particular time frames. It suffered from the same problems during its' long decline. The last several years were pretty poor. Wayne W2NSD, just tossed in the towel sooner.

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He kept it on track for a long while, but, frankly, I noted a decline, a steep one, by the mid 80s. :(