CQ Magazine

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WR3V, Oct 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent this email to CQ three days ago, directed to a staff member who had gotten back to me in the past. No response yet, and I guess there won't be any. Sad.

As your are the only staff member with the courtesy to respond to my questions, you are being asked to again. I have not received my September print issue as of today, October 18th. Please do not offer a Zinio link, if I wanted a digital subscription I would have it, but I do not. My print subscription expires with the December issue, so at this rate I shouldn't have to worry about renewal until March or so. But, speaking of renewal, and based on past performance, I really don't see the value when a large part of the contents is last month's news (or the last two months).

The excuses about the 'printer' are worn out by now, so please give me good reason to renew. Fool me once, fool me twice, etc. Please pass this on to the Publisher and the Editor, I would like to receive a response from them as well. I have been loyal to CQ since 1965, off and on, but my loyalty is wearing thin

2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

So what else is new?

These repeated threads are pretty tiresome by now.

It's perfectly clear:
    For whatever reason(s) --almost certainly financial-- CQ is unable to provide the magazine to print subscribers on a timely basis. Hasn't done so for the past couple of years, and is unlikely to do so anytime soon.

If you're willing to put up with that, keep subscribing.
    If you're not, stop.

Calling them, e-mailing, posting complaints on line, won't change the situation. ;)

K4YWZ, W4RAV and K3XR like this.
  3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

2G:

However, keeping the subject alive on line could definitely help prevent some newcomer from falling into the new subscription "great offers" trap!

Glen, K9STH

N3AWS likes this.
  4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Screenshot from 2017-10-20 21:47:53.png

WB8NUT, K4PIH and NS8N like this.
  5. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been getting all issues...late of course. It's nice to see if what has already happened was correct (i.e. field day plans - solar eclipse, etc.). Seriously, I still enjoy their articles...hope they can pull themselves out of the pit and continue. If not, maybe HRO could buy them out and have their own publication!

KD8ZMN likes this.
  6. KR4BD

KR4BD Ham Member QRZ Page

My September issue of CQ just arrived—yesterday, October 20. All the news was dated, of course. Why can’t CQ allow print subscribers access to the more timely digital release? QST lets me have BOTH versions for the same price. I prefer print, but if CQ’s print content is always “dated”, you would think they would want to give access to the digital release to everyone. That would make for better customer relations, right? I subscribed to many of their now defunct publications including a lifetime subscription to World Radio, Popular Communications, CQ VHF, etc., and after all the reductions and considations, they still can’t get the CQ out on time.

K2HAT likes this.
  7. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know how any magazine makes it. The market has shifted and no one bothers with magazines or news papers. Believe it or not, i pick up ham magazines and other interests at the rack and look at the ads.

This week, it hit the news that news week is going through another wave of major layoffs. I can't remember the last time I picked up one and looked at it.

WB5THT likes this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes we have been here before and it's sad to see a great magazine on the way out but it's hard to justify a renewal under the circumstances.

9. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Two guesses what arrived today, Saturday, October 21? September print issue. Gee ,only a month and a half + late. I just can't understand (revenue notwithstanding) they just can't get caught up and stay there. For petes' sake, do another double issue, skip an issue, go digital only, fess up, but DO SOMETHING.

10. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I subscribed back in 2011 when I was first licensed, but didn't renew after the first year because of the delivery problems. I haven't seen anything from CQ since then that would tempt me to renew.