ad: elecraft

CQ Magazine delivery problems...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7JYJ, Feb 11, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My August, 2017 issue arrived Sept 1st.

Glad it arrived before the Boxboro Convention Hamfest. There was an advertisement for Radio Oasis Antennas saying that they would be at Boxboro. :)

CQ Magazine had a "booth" at Boxboro, I was in the Flea Market trying to sell stuff and didn't get inside hardly at all,
    but the 2 times I stopped at the booth there was nobody there. :(

My current subscription expires Jan 2018. I might do a 1 year renewal.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. K4YWZ

K4YWZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Print media today is a very, very difficult business. The destruction of advertising revenue which has always been the financial foundation of that industry has left it a shell of its former self. If there's a surprise at all, it's that CQ continues to exist at all. Remember when you could walk into a drug store and find any number of nice radio rags?

Our hobby is a better place for having journalistic outlets that aren't tied to our respective national "leagues" (nothing against QST - it's a very nice magazine - but it is inevitably colored by the worldview and prejudices of its parent). Should CQ go away, like pretty much all its former brethren already have, many of us will shake our heads in sorrow.

Here's a suggestion... subscribe for one year at a time. If/when the day comes they close up shop, you're only out a few bucks. And in the meantime you get a pretty nice magazine about amateur radio.

WD4IGX, K4PIH and KQ9J like this.
  3. KC3GSV

KC3GSV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Len, Will send it out tomorrow. Charlie

4. KA7FTP

KA7FTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Charlie! That would be awesome.

Plese let me know if I can cover the postage, or other costs.

Len

5. KC3GSV

KC3GSV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Len, No worries! Sent it out this morning. Sent as media and low postage!

6. KA7FTP

KA7FTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks again!

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CQ's "problems" are nothing new. They've had a reputation for paying their writers late or not at all since, well, forever. ;)

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There were a couple of guys manning the CQ booth at Huntsville...but they weren't exactly swamped with traffic. ;)

9. K4YWZ

K4YWZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most magazines pay on publication, not on acceptance. And given the 2-3 month lead time to publication, that means payments often take 4-6 months, even if they're on time.

I wrote for one of the national motorcycle magazines for eight years. There were three or four separate occasions during that span when payments were many months late beyond even that. Sometimes it was a change in ownership. Or a change in the back office billing system. Other times it was... who knows. My editor was always apologetic, but never had much influence over that part of the business.

Which is not at all to defend CQ for being slow to pay its contributors. As a freelance writer myself I know precisely how sucky that is.

But only to point out that the industry is rife with that sort of thing. And has been so probably since forever.

Said differently, if you walked into the magazine section of Barnes & Noble (Borders, RIP...), glanced at the hundreds of titles there, closed your eyes, clicked your heels and said "I only want to see the magazines that always treat their writers well," when you opened your eyes you'd see hardly anything at all.

10. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

Before Wayne Green sold, and then reacquired, 73 Magazine, you got a cheque, in the mail, as the acceptance. Sometimes, he never got around to publishing some articles but the author still got his / her money. After he reacquired the magazine, he soon went to the publishing date for payment.

The last few years, payment was slow and often never came. I was in contact with Wayne Green after the magazine shut down. He told me that his business manager had been supposedly paying the authors but was actually writing cheques to herself. One day, she disappeared with all the funds and the magazine had to shut down. Wayne had made the mistake of letting someone else actually run the business and that bit him in the posterior! I knew Wayne personally from like 1961 until he died. I definitely believe his accounts of the business manager.

As for CQ: That magazine has had the reputation of not paying the authors since, at least, when the Cowan family took ownership in the 1950s. I won't go into details, but, they still owe me over $1000.00 since 1973 and I will never see a penny of that.

A couple of years ago, the CQ Editor contacted me about publishing some of the articles that are on my website ( http://k9sth.net ). I mentioned the fact that I had not been paid for articles / columns published back in 1973. He told me that he would "check on" that and get back to me. Since then, crickets!

Glen, K9STH