CQ Magazine delivery problems...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7JYJ, Feb 11, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Wouldn't there be a statute of limitations on that?

2. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

After watching the interview, I called them again regarding my cancellation. After the YL who answered attempted to tell me of the issues they were facing, I told her "That's fine. I want to cancel my subscription." She then--for the first ever--acknowledged I had sent an e-mail to W2VU on 20 Jan 14. At that time, I had not yet received my December 13 issue (but it came later that week). She said I was "in the queue" for a refund which will take 3-4 months. So we are now talking 6 months for a refund? She said she could credit my credit card, but there is no way I will give them my credit card number.

So I guess I wait for June and hope they don't fold in the meantime.

Had they said something from the get-go, it would be different and I'd probably stay on.

Looks like the CQ+ is mostly non-ham related stuff from their other failed magazines.

3. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've received every issue, no problems.

Time to move to digital.

4. NE2X

NE2X Ham Member QRZ Page

received January's issue yesterday

5. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

\
    My God, you were able to watch for an hour, what tolerance!

6. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, legally yes. I was implying that the owner who is a ham, would make good on things.

7. KN4AQ

KN4AQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I got "to the heart of the matter" with my first question: "What the heck?" And the elaboration - no CQ delivery since December, and the other publications being discontinued... Explain.

As for the "issues never mailed," Rich addressed that right away, saying January was in the mail, and giving a timetable for February and March/April.

I didn't ask if people would get reimbursement for cancelled subscriptions. CQ is having trouble printing magazines, and you want them to print money? Clearly, they don't have it.

I suppose I could have hollered "Rich! CQ is broke, isn't it? SAY IT! JUST SAY IT!" Would that have made you happy?

CQ has been a ham radio institution for decades. They've been close to the edge financially for a while. Yeah, I'd like them to be more transparent about it, but almost no company ever is. And there's a reason for that. They are trying to make it, and they'll keep trying until they just can't. If they announce to the world that they're in dire straits, what income they're getting from renewals and new subscriptions dries up, guaranteeing that they go under. Not just CQ – everybody does that.

So yeah, you risk a little cash if you renew now. A few of us can't afford it. Most of us can. What we SHOULD do is rally 'round CQ and make sure they stay in business, for all they've done and for all they will continue to do. But some of us see someone who's down and all we think to do is kick.

We can do better.

73, Gary KN4AQ
    HamRadioNow.tv

8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here.

Except that they created a "March/April" issue as a way of getting caught up, tho they say everyone's subscription will be extended by one month to make up for the missing month.

They also, back in January, made other adjustments to my subscription, to make up for the fact that World Radio, which I also had subscribed to, was being folded into CQ.

At this point I have no idea how long my subscription will be.

9. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my JANUARY 2014 copy of CQ in Saturdays mail.

Must have come by Pony Express.

10. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

LIX:

Considering the weather in much of the United States for the past couple of months, by dog sled would be more appropriate!

Glen, K9STH