CQ Magazine delivery problems...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7JYJ, Feb 11, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

This started last summer. It took me three e-mails to get the August issue and they did that by a special mailing. I never received the October issue and I have yet to receive January or February. I have seen Jan and Feb because they rolled my digital CQVHF subscription into a CQ subscription, but still no printed copies.

Yep...

I'd be a little more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if they were more forthcoming in acknowledging they have problems. They've been too tight-lipped for me to give them much support. What turned me off was the lack of customer service rather than the late issues.

2. K5JY

K5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Since my March QST came in the mail this weekend, it prompted me to look at the last CQ I got -- it was December. So I called CQ this morning. The nice lady told me that the January and February issues are "at the printer," and would be mailed out "middle of next week." I asked her if I had to call every month to get my magazine, and she said that I didn't, but not to expect the March issue until mid-March at the earliest.

And, yes, she extended my subscription for 2 more months. I've called them enough times now that my original 12-month subscription has turned into an 18-month one. But if they can't actually get the issues into my hands, they can extend my subscription out to the year 2032 and it won't matter.

But it does gripe me when they send issues to the retail outlets well ahead of when they send them to the people who have already paid for them.

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

CQ Magazine had cash management, you notice that I did not say cash FLOW, problems back in the early 1970s when the magazine was owned by the Cowan family. Money was spent freely for things like "entertainment" for advertisers at hamfests, etc. But, when it came to things like paying authors, it was more like "squeezing blood from a turnip"! When the Cowans sold CQ, it was hoped that things would improve. They did, for a short while, and then things started going back to the slow pay for authors and, now, problems with paying for printing, postage, etc.

CQ was a morphing of the old Radio Magazine from before, and into, World War II. Just after World War II, CQ started publishing. After about a year, there were some things happening in the background and basically all the original staff, except for the "treasurer", of the organization disappeared. That staff member was Sanford Cowan and he gained total ownership of the magazine.

The physical presence of the publishing company was the basement of a building in Port Washington, L.I., New York. When I visited the "headquarters", in 1971, when I was the first FM Editor of the magazine, the office was very difficult to find. I finally stopped at a service station and, fortunately, they were familiar with the organization because it was located across street! Even then, one had to drive around the building and look for a set of steps going down from the parking lot.

Frankly, it is a wonder that CQ has lasted for almost 70-years even though, over time, it has actually had different owners.

Glen, K9STH

4. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I was at the Orlando Hamcation Hamfest and decided to renew my subscription for CQ while at their booth.

I was told that they are trying to get the delivery gremlins resolved.

I don't mind if the magazine arrives the middle of the month as long as it is fairly consistent. :)

5. KK6DCT

KK6DCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering if this thread would come around again. My March QST is here already too, and surprise surprise, no January or February CQ yet...

6. W7JYJ

W7JYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Stopped in the Tigard HRO store earlier today. They have a sign up on the magazine rack that CQ Magazine is no more. That was the word their corporate hq got from CQ.
    Yet the latest ARRL Letter has a story more in line with what CQ's subscriptions dept told me a couple of weeks ago. And that the upcoming March print edition will be a
    combined March/April print edition before they resume normal monthly print edition publishing.

7. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had multiple conversations with CQ over the past several months and #1 Never got a straight answer #2 never got the same answer twice and #3 have not received my refund after requesting it...in fact not even an acknowledgment of the request. My guess is they are rapidly going belly up

8. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I get my CQ digitally and have them all, no problem.

..........Bob

9. KB1WSY

KB1WSY Ham Member QRZ Page

This is from an announcement on the CQ website:

Attention CQ Subscribers!

Dear CQ Readers,
    We are still experiencing delays with our January and February print editions.
    Mail delivery is scheduled for mid-March - followed shortly thereafter by CQ's March issue.
    Please note! Subscribers can access the January and February issues via the cover links below. Click on the cover of the issue you wish to view and it will download for viewing. Please allow ample time for the issue to download.
    Be sure to check out the premier issue or CQ Plus beginning on page 113 of CQ's February issue!
    Please accept our sincere thanks for your patience during our recent transition.

Link: http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/news/2014_02_attention_cq_subscriber.html.

Concerning the "March" issue of CQ. According to an article on the ARRL website, "
    CQ has told its advertisers that a combined March/April issue of the magazine [will be published] before it resumes single-issue publication."

The ARRL link is here: http://www.arrl.org/news/cq-names-new-advertising-manager-as-publisher-shifts-gears.

10. K5TCJ

K5TCJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess this would explain why Zinio still does not have the March E-edition.......