CQ Mag back to their old tricks

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WR3V, Dec 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here. I might apply for WPX if I could be assured of receiving it in--say--six months. But I'm pretty sure that would not happen. ;)

N3AWS likes this.
  2. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yikes! I think I would plagiarize a certificate for my own wall. A couple hundred bucks buys a lot of antenna materials.

W4NNF likes this.
  3. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Were they not 599? :p

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't have to pay LOTW for WPX confirmations. One can enter the information using the WPX written forms or just, like I did, use Excell and make your own spread sheet.

There is an individual who handles the applications directly, you don't actually go through the magazine.

Glen, K9STH

5. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anybody get their December CQ print magazine yet?.......asking for a friend. :oops:

6. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite likely it's lost in the mail...
    Had all my bills promptly paid but all arrived late, got dinged with late fees... never b4 had that happen...
    RR Unemployment claims for 4 weeks lost as well, had to resubmit them.
    US postal employees are understaffed by having covid casualties and remaining staff is stretched to limits...

7. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, CQ now has the ultimate excuse. Just remember, never let a good crisis go to waste.

8. KR4BD

KR4BD Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my December CQ late last week. I will probably drop it when it expires in March. It’s been years since it’s come on time. I’ve been a continuous subscriber since 1975. Too bad they can’t get their act together.

KE0GXN likes this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had good luck with the digital subscription. Less expensive and on time. I know some prefer print...but...well...I don't like CQ enough to really worry about that. Oh, it's fine...but has always been last in line with me as far as radio magazines since I started reading Daddy's copies in the 60s. However, if you (the collective you) like the way it was in the 80s, it's fine now, since it is little changed since then. I enjoy reading it when I get it, but can't say I come back and reread issues/articles very often. Don't get me wrong...it is well and professionally done...I've just never found its operating/contest emphasis as interesting TO ME as more technically/gear oriented mags.

If I had to drop a magazine, it would be the first candidate, however. I not only much prefer QST/QEX, but Spectrum Monitor and Electric Radio as well. But that is just me. :)

KE0GXN likes this.
  10. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s sad. I very much enjoy print magazines, and between professional, news, and avocational journals, I subscribe to many of them. Unfortunately they are dropping like flies. My car magazines, with much bigger advertising revenue and subscriber lists than our ham radio mags, are gone, all but one. The world has changed and the handwriting is on the wall.

I wish that CQ were not facing the problems they have, but I am glad that they’re still there. For however long that may be.

KE0GXN likes this.