CQ Mag back to their old tricks

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WR3V, Dec 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Dec 24 and no December print mag. Phone call admits late mailing this month. Ugh. Same thing every December. Subscription up after February, I'm done. And price up to $42.95. Double ugh. Shame because QST is awful and not getting and better or thicker. Print magazines are a dying breed, two of my car mags just gave up the ghost, Autoweek and Automobile. Motor Trend Group just suspended publication of 19 car mags. The times, they are a changin'. Don't like reading digital mags, but looks like we have no choice.

Merry whatever you observe, be safe and happy.

Rich
    WR3V

NL7W and WG7X like this.
  2. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rich,

Same thing here. I used to subscribe to almost all the magazines that you listed. Print media is dying, killed by the internet. I too, miss them. Newspapers and magazines are quickly becoming relics of a past age, along with their readership.

Sad but true...

3. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Digital magazines are not so bad if they are done well. The digital version of QST is not done well. Not sure if digital CQ is any better, never seen it.

4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

On the bright side, think of how many trees we're saving. : P

I'm old school where I prefer reading from paper instead of on-screen but when you think about it, how much content from a magazine do you really care to read? If it's worth preserving you could always print the article(s) that interest you...which in the end drives up your total subscription cost(s) but hey, how can you put a price on knowledge?

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here and I hate digital magazines for technical information or general enjoyment.
    I used to be a lifetime subscriber to World radio and I think CQ took it over and had it is a digital format which at the time I wasn't interested in, however recently I checked because I love that magazine but it's no longer available near as I can tell so basically I lost its lift time subscription after CQ took it over.
    CQ was late back in the late nineties a lot on their Edition so I quit subscribing.
    That's about the time CQ VHF quit also another lost subscription.
    I certainly like to see two magazines out there dealing with amateur radio.
    But I no longer subscribe to CQ, I'm a lifetime League member and have been disappointed but actually I just received my January QST ( about a week after my son it is not a life member received his!) and it's pretty good overall this month. It has a lot of different articles for different disciplines. This is what the league promised let's hope it keeps up in QST

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't generally like digital magazines, either, but considering CQ's ongoing problems with print, I'm happy to have a digital subscription with them. In fact, while I like the magazine just fine, given what's in it...well...I wouldn't want to pay any more than what I'm paying for it. It is certainly nowhere near as good as QST. And that's almost always been the case.

QST
    73 (sometimes these two were reversed)
    Ham Radio
    CQ
    ;)

7. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been back in the hobby only a couple of years after around 10 years QRT. I re-joined the League and also subscribed to CQ. I prefer print versions of periodicals as I don't have to depend on power from the grid, batteries, solar etc. and internet connectivity to read them. In addition, the copy I have is mine. With digital subscriptions, I am more or less renting the content.

CQ has been doing better with respect to on-time delivery. I'll cut them some slack on this one.

Vy 73 es DX, John

K7GQ and K0UO like this.
  8. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

As I get older and my eyesight gets worse, I read fewer and fewer print books and magazines. I prefer digital because I can increase the size of the font for easier reading and I like being able to zoom in on a picture in a book or magazine. My print QST magazines end up in a stack on my desk until they start getting in the way, then I take them to VE testing or give them to friends that aren't league members.

W4RAV and W4NNF like this.
  9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I found getting accustomed to digital magazines and books was easy. You just have to apply yourself. One nice thing is if you fall asleep while reading you don't loose your place! The other nice thing is the ease in going directly to the articles you want to read first.

Oh and changing font size is a plus!

KB0RTQ likes this.
  10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not true...CQ magazine maintains digital copies going back for quite a few years. Finding a back issue article is easier than going through stacks of paper magazines!