CQ Hexbeam owners. (especially on L.I.)

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KG2DC, Oct 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AI2SS

AI2SS Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a 5 band quad mounted on the roof on a 10 foot tower. The ice damaged the quad but the roof had no problems at all. I put a TH5 on the tower after taking the quad down. The TH5 weighed a lot more than the quad did. I"m not sure what the difference with ice was but there was never a problem with the roof. If you're worried about the roof though, you could double up the beams under the antenna support.

Now I just started getting the parts to make a hex but it will be a while because of my budget. At least I know it will get made eventually. I don't think it's going on the roof though because my support was taken down when the new roof went on.

2. KG2DC

KG2DC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Stefanie. That alleviates some of my concerns. I appreciate it.

AI2SS likes this.
  3. KD8EDC

KD8EDC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had nothing but wonderful results with Roger's NA4RR (K4Hex) Hexbeam. A mishap in bringing it to the mast (entirely my fault) caused one of the middle-section spreaders to break (don't ask, but it took a LOT to break it). Called Roger, he had one on the way immediately. One thing he did suggest, is that when you build yours, use zip ties (I'd recommend stainless...I used UV/Extreme Cold Resistant zip ties before I had heard of stainless steel versions (available at Home Despot). If I ever take it down again, I'll change it.

Whatever you do, securely guy your mast, and I'd recommend that you don't extend the mast sections more than 2/3. Mine have 2-2.5foot overlap rather than the 8 inches recommended.

Here's a couple of views of the finished product. Close up and wide.

Wide-view-HexBeamw.jpg

Close-Up-HexBeamw.jpg

KC8VWM likes this.
  4. K1GHC

K1GHC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

HAT - that's a cool photo!! I like it - for whatever reason it has a cozy thing going on :)

The Hexbeam is so low! How well does it work being so low to the ground?

Dave
    W7UUU

6. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Works pretty good, in fact, very well, North, West and Northeast too, but South there is some big dummies house in the way. ;)

The yard is 26ft left to right, the house is South of where I am standing.

HAhahaaa

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

:) Thanks HAT. I have a fondness for those skinny NE houses - I lived in one here in Tacoma back around 1981 - not very wide but really deep, just like yours. Alas, no ham gear then - well, I had the gear (DX60 + Allied SX-190 receiver) but wasn't on the air.

Dave
    W7UUU

8. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

k4kio beam is awesome. took 30 min to assemble. 30 min to get up on a 30 ft pole. 1.2 or less SWR all bands.

9. KK4SMJ

KK4SMJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have a hex beam but I have a 5-band SpiderBeam HD at about 30 ft. It's been up about a year and a half. It works great but takes up a bit more space than a Hex. More gain than the hex also.

10. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

Which one of these will stand up best to hurricane-strength winds?