ad: M2Ant-1

CQ Fantasy Football League for Hams!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K7CO, Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K7CO

K7CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have created an online fantasy football league designed for hams. If you are interested in playing fantasy football with hams nationwide let me know and I will sign you up in what is to be the first of many leagues. We will be having HF nets as well as some local VHF nets. There will be nets on 20m and 40m weekly to discuss NFL news, player injuries, highlights from the previous week, high scorers and general chit chat about the NFL. The NFL season starts soon so if you are interested in joining please email k7co@arrl.net. You must have a callsign and have regular internet access to join the league. Drafts will take place via the internet as well as on HF between August 28-Sept 4.
    Email k7co@arrl.net for details. After August 21 there will be a website devoted to fantasy football for hams -- http://www.cqffl.com

For those of you who may not know, fantasy football involves picking players from any of the NFL teams to comprise your fantasy team. Each week, you compete against another league member.  Competition is based on the statistics of each of your players, so if your players do better statistically than your opponent's you win for the week.  This changes the way the game is viewed as you become more interested in your players doing well than in a particular team, like the 49er's, winning.

2. K7CO

K7CO Ham Member QRZ Page

In the first few hours of the posting we have 5 hams signed up. The first league will have 16 teams. The next league will be called the QRZ League and it will include 16 teams, the third league will be the DX League. IF we go beyond 3 leagues (48 people)  I will need some volunteer commisioners to help with the leagues beyond the initial 3 leagues.

3. N3MVF

N3MVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I too unfortunately can't commit the time to the league, however, it is refreshing to see something like this involving amateur radio. Where people that don't even know each other have a common interest (hobby) and expanding the hobby and radio hobby. Beats the rudeness in a DX pileup, cursing and bigotry on 80 and the debate on non-cw versus cw. I find it refreshing that someone thought "outside the box".

Good luck,
    Greg
    N3MVF

4. W6TMI

W6TMI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm with the rest, no interest in football, but have been trying to think of a non-ham interest that other hams may share.
    Like maybe a TV show that we can discuss during commercials. Problems is finding a good one that is popular.

Well, maybe I should start a new thread on this, but otherwise I'm with the other guys - Use the web site to maybe coordinate times/bands/freqs/player lists/rules etc, but have the primary activity be on-air.

Hmmm, how about a chess net? (chestnut?)

73's

5. W6SN

W6SN Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with KF6RDN, about finding a TV show to have a net to ragchew about, to throw out ideas about what might happen, or do trivia about the show. One show that easily comes to mind, is 24. For those of you who don't know what it is, it is a show chronicling a day in the life of a government agent. VERY exciting show. Hopefully season 2 will be as well done as the first. Of course, ANY show with a weekly schedule will work.

73 de w6sn

6. N0KLT

N0KLT QRZ Member QRZ Page

Hey,

I root for Da Bears and in baseball the Cubs, how much more of a fantasy do you want??? Though reality strikes now and then, in the American League, I have rooted for the Yankees since my dad took me to St Louis to see them play when Mantle was a rookie.

Gary - N0KLT

7. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have posted on other threads how in my 45+ years in Ham Radio I have seen many changes take place in the Technical fraternity. This thread could easily take Top Honors for Ideas on Reducing it down to only a "HOBBY".
    With the many facets of Ham Radio available to those who are willing to put forth a little more effort to learn than the average person, and get a ticket if they were to try and only become moderately proficient at each, it would take more than the average life time.
    When a licensed Ham has to turn to Professional Sports,one of the biggest con jobs perpatrated on the public to occupy his time, it would seem maybe a revaluation of why they got into Ham Radio might be in order.
    I also disagree with the comments to put it on the air,don't clutter the bands with this kind of chatter, it is more in line with Cyber Chat Rooms than on the air. Sex and Religion two of the most avoided subject matters in Ham Radio would make better subjects than professional Sports ripoff's.
    My suggestion if you are so bored that you must turn to mixing sports and Ham Radio you may have made a bad decision some where along the line.

Think about it ,there are Technical Subjects galore out there waiting to be investigated,there is a Whole World and even some in Space of people to meet and share interesting life stories. By getting your Ham License this has all been layed out at your feet,and you want to play Phoney Football ?? you could call the last game the "Couch poataoe Super Bowl" maybe you could sell advertising time to buy that new rig.....There is a saying used by some of the younger generation that might apply"Get a Life ".
                                       73,   ORV

8. K7CO

K7CO Ham Member QRZ Page

TO: K6UEY and all those who share his opinion.

I once had a qso with a YL in Louisianna. We bought a People magazine and went through it cover to cover on the air. It is amazing how much I enjoy talking on HF about more than just the weather and what kind of antenna I am running. Also, last time I checked there was not a FCC regulation stating that I could not talk about professional sports on the air. Correct me if I am wrong. Just for my future reference please email me a list of appropriate QSO topics in case I decide to conform to your politics in the future.
    73 and you are welcome to join our net anytime (seriously)

9. N7WSB

N7WSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm into Japanese movies and animation and I've actually found a few other hams that are too. Maybe some day we'll have our own hf net or something - swap movies?

I wonder how you start a new net on one of these interlink networks like evergreen intertie. Might be fun [​IMG].

10. K0HB

K0HB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For K6UEY,

You are free to discuss whatever interests you have on Amateur Radio. So am I. If you don't like to hear me discuss sports, feel free to briskly twist that big round knob in the center of your radio.

73, de Hans, K0HB
    SOC # 291 http://www.qsl.net/soc
    --
    There is no voodoo or magic associated with RF
    propagation. There are several perfectly sound
    technical reasons why it is beneficial to occasionally
    sacrifice a goat in your antenna field.

11. K7CO

K7CO Ham Member QRZ Page

No money exchanges hands in this fantasy football. Totally free to participate.

k7co
    jon

12. K6UEY

By the number of replies to my previous post it becomes quite obvious that either my point went over the heads of those posting or maybe the idea of becomming good at providing the service that allows Ham Radio to exsit in the first place might involve some learning and effort expended.We sure wouldn't want to detract from the Football game, that experience might come in handy if ever called upon to provide communications for an emergency situation. Maybe you could learn to quote odds at whether the misson task will be successful ,or successfully predict how many lifes could be lost,maybe start a pool how many children under 5 will be on the fatality list, Also obvious that any facts about what Amateur Radio 's purpose would only further cloud the issue. If Amateur Radio Services dies or is eliminated it won't be from the OF's who worked hard to build it,the fault will lie with those who continued to neglect it......

13. K6UEY

Mr. Beers....
    If you have heard K6UEY talking about Paranormal Fantasies,Or UFO's or Conspiricy theories please send me the tape if you have one, I would be very interested in who else might be using my Call sign.
    With out going back to quote my self verbatim I believe I said nothing about what subjects are allowed  in conversations on Ham Radio,the idea of Censorship or limited subject matter in the conversations was introduced by some other post,as a matter of fact I mentioned SEX and RELIGION two areas of conversation that is limited to discussions for the more Mature Hams but often avoided as not all are equipped to converse as adults.
    I do believe that I made reference to the fact NO WHERE in Part 97 does it say the purpose of Amateur Radio Service is to provide a HOBBY for those who have idle time to dissapate.
    With all the many Modes of communications that are made available to Ham radio it would take a life time to just dabble in each one,and to become proficient and capable in several would take several life times. As was previously said if Ham Radio is to go down the tubes it will not be because of those who patricipate,but from those who neglect the primary purpose.

And to the point that one can build his or her Ham station to a point of finalization,in my 47 years as a Ham I have yet to see or hear of one,my own station is in continous state of update as new modes are discovered new equipment needs to be designed and new interface's need to be built for the exsisting equipment, I do admit all this would be unnessary if I was to just sit around playing fantasy Sports,but then again it would not be Ham Radio any more either.

Sorry TOTO maybe we are not in Kansas anymore !!!!

Enjoy !! Life is too short for QRP.....73,   ORV

14. K7CO

K7CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have read Orv's postings and wonder if he has a thing against sports in general. Anywho, it's a free country and I am going to enjoy playing fantasy football with the other hams that have joined the league. I also will enjoy setting up my antennas and radios for our on-air activities. Wow, maybe I will be more ready for an emergency with having an HF station on the air! Thanks to all those who posted on this new topic and cu on the bands.
    Jon
    k7co

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.