ad: chuckmartin

Covid Quarantine Project, Tube Rcvr.

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by AB9LZ, May 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry about the video quality, still needs a few final details like TR switching cabinet etc.

It's a little crudely built, but seems to perform ok, i.e stability is good etc. I have a legit HP signal generator in the basement that I'm going to fire up for some final tests.

73 m.

WN3F, VE7BFX, W2VW and 1 other person like this.
  2. AB9LZ

20200509_183736.jpg

KC9YGN, W7UUU and NQ8J like this.
  3. AB9LZ

20200509_183702.jpg

W0RIO, KC9YGN, KP4SX and 2 others like this.
  4. AB9LZ

20200509_190436.jpg

My new house is quite small, so only have a micro amount of room for the station. Fortunately I finished the chassis work before leaving North Carolina. I do have a feedline up to the roof, but have yet to install the butternut vert.

73 m.

KC9YGN likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Beautiful!!! I love it! The Heathkit SB knobs are a fun touch :)

I really look forward to a video of it on the air receiving signals!

Dave
    W7UUU

AB9LZ likes this.
  6. AB9LZ

20200516_143352.jpg

Starting to round up the parts for the second half of this project. I have the anode cap somewhere and an unused chassis box so am pretty much parts complete. I finished the power supply a few years ago, so have the hardest part of the project done. This will be a two tube mopa drivin by a vackar vfo.

If you look carefully in the RX photos you'll notice two crystals in the filter section with one unused. I'm modifying the IF section to use both for a little nicer passband shape.

73 m.

7. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

AB9LZ. Very neat receiver project. I hope you have since put nice labels and some paint on the front panel.

W7UUU likes this.
  8. AB9LZ

So I kinda had a massive "duh" moment here when I finally got around to lugging my HP 606B out of the basement for some additional testing and alignment. My only homebrewing experience had been with superhets, and when I set the RX up with the regen set to just below oscillation, BFO on, the thing was kinda deaf but receiving CW nicely otherwise. The minimum discernable signal was only about -55dbm. When I flipped off the BFO and advanced the regen control just past the "pop" wala, could hear the same signal down to about -110dbm.

For me that initially was a little counterintuitive, but I get it now ;) Cool stuff, Armstrong was a smart guy.

73 m.