Cousins Kids, got them hooked

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by N3VQW, Oct 12, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3VQW

N3VQW Ham Member QRZ Page

On Labor Day weekend I went to visit my cousin up in Columbus OH and this time I brought along my 2 meter equipment and borrowed a Ringo ranger antenna from my brother (N3TJL) for the sole purpose of demonstrating HAM radio to my cousins boys ( Benji ~12, Wesley ~16) (Didn't think the girls would be interested). They happen to have a 20' tower (used for an outdoor light) attached to the garage, so I had one of the boys climb up and stick the ringo ranger right where an antenna is suppose to go (image below).

I brought along the No-Nosense Technician guide and some practice software for them to learn from, and demonstrated the radio by making contacts on 146.52 and the Columbus area repeaters, and we even wrote down some of the traffic from the traffic net. I promised the boys that i would buy them each an HT if they got their licenses.

About a week later I get an excited call from Benji stating that he ACED a practice exam.

Last week I had to make an unplanned trip partway up to Columbus where I met up with my cousin-in law and he informed me that both the boys were acing their tech practice exams, and are already getting 80's on the general practice exams. Maybe they will beet me to the Xtra class! LOL

Now I need to figure out how to get them on HF when they pass their General license! Neither I nor their family have the money to buy even used equipment.

Any suggestions?,

N3VQW /AG

[​IMG]

K5URU, K6FNI and KD2EOM like this.
  2. KD2EOM

KD2EOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

That's great!

As for getting them on the air for cheap...you could check out the RemoteHamRadio Youth program. See http://www.remotehamradio.com/youth/ and http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/new-youth-program-by-remotehamradio.447005/

RemoteHamRadio is pretty simple in how it works; they have a bunch of ham radio stations set up around the country. You log in to a webpage, and you can connect to a station and you have full control over it. The remote stations are really nice (500W amps and directional beams) and you access them over the internet using your computer. You transmit and receive the audio using your computer's microphone and speaker. There's also an interface to transmit CW using your keyboard.

I'm 14 years old. I'm on that program and it's great!!

The only requirements are:

1. 25 years or younger (yep)
    2. Hold a general class or higher license (From what you've said this may happen soon)
    3. Members of the ARRL ($39 for primary member, $8 for everyone else in the family = $47)
    4. Can demonstrate why RHR will be a "good fit" for them (If they live in an HOA community that doesn't allow antennas then that should be enough to meet this requirment. For me, I live in a town house, so I told them that I was limited in the type of station that I could set up.)
    5. Has interest in DXing/Contesting (Getting them interested in DX shouldn't be that hard).

You send an email to service@remotehamradio.com to apply. Then you're on the program for a year.
    I'm not 100% sure if they kick you off after that year is up or if you can apply again...

K5URU and K6FNI like this.
  3. N3VQW

They don't have internet access.

4. N3VQW

Results

Bengi (13) Technic an passed (0 wrong) General passed (3 wrong) Extra failed (by 7 wrong)
    Wesley(16) Technician passed (1 wrong) General passed (after retake, failed by 1 on the first try)
    Alicia (25) Technician passed on second try

[​IMG]
    Wesley and Bengi installing a 2meter Diamond antenna to connect to their new Yaesu FT-2900 75W 2 meter base station. HTs are on order for them. Now, to somehow get them HF setup......

K5URU and KD2EOM like this.
  5. KD2EOM

6. KG8CX

KG8CX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7. W8NGA

W8NGA Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in Grove City (just south of Columbus) and that is great news that we have some younger blood in the area.

Our small club operates a low profile repeater here on 145.230 mHz and they are most welcome to use it anytime. The call is WB8MMR and its operated by the South West Columbus ham radio club or SWCHRC for short. More information can be found at the SWCHRC.ORG website.

Thanks,
    Greg W8NGA

8. N3VQW

Their calls are

Bengi KE8CKW
    Wesley KE8CKY
    Alecia KE8CKZ

MI0YLT, K5URU and KD2EOM like this.
  9. N3VQW

I setup a GoFundMe account to raise $1000.00 to buy them a Yaesu FT-450D and antennas and stuff...

Please be very generous ;)

gofundme.com/yb8rj69u

KD2EOM likes this.
  10. KD2EOM

Hey, I know of another fairly popular ham radio forum over at eham.net - if you want, I would love to post about your GoFundMe over there too, to raise awareness for your cause.

I also have a small blog at kd2eom.blogspot.com - if you want I could post about it over there too, again to help raise awareness.

Oh, by the way, I think it also might be a good idea to post again about the GoFundMe account in another thread on this forum - that way more people might see it, as opposed to just having it in this older thread which some people may not be checking anymore...

Anyways, good luck and I hope you are successful!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015