??Counterpoise??

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K0MAN, Jul 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. K0MAN

K0MAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Recently I moved a 30 Meter Double Bazooka Inverted Vee which was hanging at about 20' above my deck from a steel mast. On top was a Ringo Ranger 2 meter antenna and an Omni 6 meter loop just below that. The legs of the inverted vee were pointed almost East West to broadside as much as possible to Japan where an Army Buddy now resides. We have weekly CW Schedules and with my RST being a normal 559 and his because of his 3 element beam has been 599 at times.
    Because of work being done on the deck, I moved the mast about 35' south and mounted the mast to the chain link fence that surrounds my property. The mast is made from Radio Shack 10' sections of TV Mast and when I moved it I added another 5' section which was given to me. The Mast sections have been drilled and screwed together to keep down noise and keep them together.
    The antennas are the same, 2 meter Ringo, 6 meter omni and the 30 meter inverted vee. The orientation is the same with the legs pointing East and West because that's where my tie offs are available.
    ?? The last two weeks my RST has been 599 and John's was pretty much the same. He keeps telling me I am running more than 100 watts which is not true as I have no Amp for 30 meters. The only thing we can really come up with is that the chain link fence is acting as a counterpoise, (Reflector)?? I also hear a lot more on 30 meters than I used to.
    ??THOUGHTS??

2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Propagation, luck and timing?

K0MAN likes this.
  3. K0MAN

We thought that as well. We have connected during our respective Gray Lines and in the AM and PM and have seen good results on both but Propagation has been bad. Thanks Jeff.

4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You found a lobe off of your antenna. Keep it where it is.

All kinds of crap on my roof can do funny things to lobes and nulls on various antennas.

I've got a 1-foot wide copper cap some meters below my 40m loop antenna. For all I know, it's reflecting or radiating somehow. At 100w, I'm 5/9+ 10 up to 20db at 700 miles into Japan. When I add power to reach the US West coast on 40m at night, the JA's tell me I'm 5/9+40db. I've had a few complain. It's nutty. Wish I had the space to throw more of that stateside, but I've tried.

KB4QAA and K0MAN like this.
  5. K0MAN

6. K0MAN

I know antennas do some weird things sometimes and I thought maybe I had discovered something I could use.

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

I would think if the fence was acting like a reflector, it would only manifest itself straight up, NVIS, which if I remember correctly doesn't strongly apply to 30m; which if it did, wouldn't help a DX angle.

I'm leaning towards the lobe explanation too. Weird. Enjoy!

K0MAN likes this.
  8. K0MAN

I am familiar with NVIS antennas and pretty much ruled that out due to the gain straight up.

9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy answer: Divine providence.

I concur with KE0EYJ: Keep it where it is.

K0MAN likes this.
  10. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

So you've raised it from 20 feet high to 25 feet high? That's probably why you're stronger.

Get it up to 40 feet and you'll probably do even better!

Roger G3YRO

K0MAN likes this.