ad: portazero-1

counterpoise wires

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK4QYN, Jun 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

0J:

Aluminum does not fair very well in most soil types corroding away often in just a few months. For elevated radials, aluminum works very well, but not on, or below, the surface of the soil.

Glen, K9STH

2. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Coating are meant to keep the atmosphere away from the surface, no other function.
    NO-OXIDE A is used on battery straps between cell straps and terminals in large battery string installations. Telco, cel tower installations etc.
    Better to use wire with a good quality insulation if being buried.
    Different soil compositions attack metals.
    Unless you have your soil tested, you can't select a wire on any intelligent basis
    other than hope it lasts your time expectations.

KI4AX likes this.
  3. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

In other words, "how long will it last this time?", right? I can't 'do' everything, never going to have the most "bestest what is" set-up. I can and do replace/fix things when I become aware of problems (when I can afford it). I figure I'm about as -average- as most people can get. So, it's an on-going thing.

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

As the DuPont advertising slogan goes, "Better living through chemistry."

So grab a roll of chicken wire from the farm supply store and dip both ends in a bucket of coal tar based driveway sealer. Let it dry and cure for a day or so in the sun and then you can bury it.

Coal tar is an extracted natural resource material that's based on the break down of marine biology which has been naturally preserved underground over a period of millions of years.

As a protective coating, coal tar sealer is a very flexible and durable material that's impervious to water breakdown, thermal cycling and to the general environment. It's certainly well known to be next to impossible to remove from anything coated with it, and it lasts for an extremely long time when it's applied to any kind of surface.

This chicken wire screen coated with driveway coal tar sealer will stop it from corroding away underground for at least the next 25 years, if not much longer.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019