ad: elecraft

Counterpoise for MFJ-9000 series.

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W4WVW, Jan 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4WVW

W4WVW Ham Member QRZ Page

A video I saw on youtube showed alligator clip to the reel end of the tape measure. I'm going to take my ohm meter and check conductivity of the tape measure to determine if the paint needs to be scraped off at the point of connection.

2. W4WVW

W4WVW Ham Member QRZ Page

As expected, the paint on the tape is a good insulator. Conductivity from the hook rivet to a bare spot on the edge of the tape is good. I'm probably overthinking this and should probably just go with a piece of wire.

3. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably ;-)

I would go with wire. Start with extra, and then bend it back on itself at the end to shorten it as needed for tuning. SWR most likely will not to to 1:1 as the typical impedence of a ground-mounted vertical is 37 ohms. But it should be fine to run it like that.

For storage, you can make a winding reel, but I like to store long wires by folding in half multiple times until you just have a foot or so and then tie in a single overhand knot using the whole bundle. This is very fast to do and keeps the wire tidy and also keeps it from getting twisted and kinked.

Mark

W4WVW and K7TRF like this.