ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Countdown to Launch of AMSAT's RadFxSat (Fox-1B)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8HM, Oct 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The next AMSAT Fox-1 satellite launches in just over two weeks!

RadFxSat (Fox-1B) is scheduled for launch at 01:47 PST (09:47 UTC) on November 10, 2017. RadFxSat is one of four CubeSats making up the NASA ELaNa XIV mission, riding as secondary payloads aboard the Joint Polar Satellite System (JPSS)-1 mission. JPSS-1 will launch on a Delta II from Vandenberg Air Force Base, California.

[​IMG]
    RadFxSat is a partnership with Vanderbilt University ISDE and hosts four payloads for the study of radiation effects on commercial off the shelf components. RadFxSat features the Fox-1 style FM U/v repeater with an uplink on 435.250 MHz (67.0 Hz CTCSS) and a downlink on 145.960 MHz. Satellite and experiment telemetry will be downlinked via the “DUV” subaudible telemetry stream and can be decoded with the FoxTelem software.

[​IMG]

As part of the preparations for the launch, AMSAT is making our “Getting Started With Amateur Satellites” book available for a limited time as a download with any paid new or renewal membership purchased via the AMSAT Store. This offer is only available with purchases completed online, and for only a limited time. A perennial favorite, Getting Started is updated every year with the latest amateur satellite information, and is the premier primer of satellite operation. The 182 page book is presented in PDF format, in full color, and covers all aspects of making your first contacts on a ham radio satellite.

[​IMG]

Please take advantage of this offer today by visiting the AMSAT store at https://www.amsat.org/shop/ and selecting any membership option. While there, check out our other items, including the M2 LEOpack antenna system, Arrow antennas, AMSAT shirts, and other swag. Be sure to view your cart before going to checkout. If you add a membership and then go directly to checkout, you’ll never see an option to add your free gift.

Thank you, and see you soon on RadFxSat!

N1QEH, WE4B, W5PFG and 2 others like this.
  2. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I miss the analog SSB sats... but now I can't run low enough power to use them. To much antenna gain at 19DBd!

3. KO4MA

KO4MA Ham Member QRZ Page

What a shame you can't find an attenuator, or 100 ft of RG58, because we have 13 (thirteen!) linear transponder satellites active over North America every day.

73, Drew KO4MA

KA2CZU, KB1PVH, WD9EWK and 1 other person like this.
  4. N9SOX

N9SOX Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats & good luck to all involved! Hope to hear the Bird on the air soon!

5. WA2NDV

WA2NDV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always have trouble with sats with DUV like on AO-85. Being a noobie is there something I'm missing ? Sometimes the data is so loud I can not copy the voice transmissions.

Frank
    WA2NDV

6. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think with AO-85, a big part of the voice clarity problem is weak uplink signals due to the damaged 70 cm receive antenna on the satellite. Hopefully most signals into the next three Fox-1 series FM satellites will be stronger and that problem will be mitigated.

WE4B likes this.
  7. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great news ! The more BIRDS the better now I know why you need a little more power to work AO-85 ! The new 2 # CAS satellites are also a nice ++ to the flock of BIRDS ! but FO-29 is still King ! The up coming launch will be great we should be able to see it here in Los Angeles ! 73 Phil KI6PMD see you on the next pass !

8. W0AAT

2 meter uplink I should have said... and I am not tower climbing to swap from EME to sats!

9. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of us hold an arrow or elk antenna in one hand (or on a tripod).

10. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

Have to agree with W0AAT I sorta miss Ao-13 with its elliptical orbit one could actually have long QSO's with people non of this hello good by crap if your lucky enough to even work the bird. Are there any satellites with elliptical orbits anymore if not any plans for one so far I haven't been impressed enough with what I've seen to want to work any of the new satellites.

11. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes AO-13 with 16+ (?) hours of operating time! Let's not forget AO-7. Launched in 1974. Dead in 1981. Alive 2002 (to present. Sun light only ). AO-7 is a bit higher in orbit than the LEOs, with passes lasting typically around 20 minutes. In 2010 it started switching from mode A to B every 24 hours. Since 2015, the mode A transponder appears to be slowing down in operation (145.85 up/29.45 dn), but mode B (432.15 up/145.95 dn) is still working.. Listen for the raspy-buzz sounds on the ssb/cw signals. Remember RS12/13 on 21, 29, 145MHz! Mode K,T,KT.. We would have terrestrial 15 meter stations responding to our calls... and adios to HamSat VO-52. FO-29 is similarly nice. Hi Dave W6MQI! 73, Eric n6spp

12. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Eric,
    Long time no see good to hear from you again. Was it 16+ hours operating time for AO-13 ? I thought it was 9hrs you maybe right my memory isn't what it used to be. I remember you could actually hear AO-13 spin kind of a whoosh whoosh sound as it rotated yep those were good times AO-13 was a good bird. My antennas were crossed polarized 2m 17ele, and 70cm 40ele had no problem working AO-13 even at apogee using both modes.

73, Dave
    P.S. Is that you or Jerry in that picture hihi

13. UR3QTN

UR3QTN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait!

14. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How about AO-7, mode A+B? 29/145/432MHz... It's a bit higher in orbit, with a pass lasting around 22 minutes (sun light only of course). 73, n6spp

15. W0AAT

I would have to figure out an attenuator for TX... otherwise I will hog the power bad, I have an EME array on 2m...