Could use some advice.....

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KE9RJM, Aug 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE9RJM

KE9RJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a relatively new HAM. right no I really just want to try using either ILRP or Echolink from home. Problem is that with my Beofeng UV-82 and an Ed Fong dual band antenna in my office, i can't reach the repeaters that are about 15 miles away. My house is in a "valley" so to speak and I can hot a couple of repeaters about ten miles out but not the right ones.

I have a very restricted antenna problem (my wife!) . I was wondering if moving up to a 25 or 35 watt mobile/base unit might have a decent chance of hitting the more distant repeaters that are on the ILRP or Echolink protocols. I hate to spend the money on a more powerful unit only to have it fail as well...

Just looking for some thoughts...thanks,

Bob
    O'Fallon, MO

2. AG6EM

AG6EM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob,

If you can hear the repeaters you are trying to access with a relatively low noise level, more power just might work but first I would try getting the antenna outdoors somehow, even if you can just hang it out a window. Try to keep the Ed Fong antenna away from any metal. If you have the roll up version, even glass or other material in close proximity will detune it slightly due to dielectric constant. That doesn't matter much on receive but can reduce your effective radiated power. Try to keep it as straight and vertical as possible in free air. Also try different antenna locations since moving only a few feet can change things significantly on VHF and UHF. If you can't hear others on the target repeater then more power won't help.

If you belong to a radio club or have friends that are HAMs maybe you could borrow a radio to try the higher TX power before plunking down cash for another radio.

Failing all of that, you can run EchoLink on a computer or smart phone with only an Internet connection, no radio needed. The software is free.

Good luck,
    Bill
    AG6EM

3. KE9RJM

KE9RJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, that's exactly what i was hoping for, I think is more of an antenna issue, I haven't heard anything on the two repeaters i am trying to contact....may have to buy the wife something really nice :)