Corn Fused 60 meters.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3EPA, Aug 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

What would having a valid amateur licence have to do with it? Having that licence still does not give the operator the authority to transmit outside the amateur bands. The vast majority of the rigs in question were manufactured long after the last new WARC-79 bands were added to the HF amateur allocations.

2. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I mentioned the possibility of the manufacturers wanting to make a effort to keep the HF rigs off of CB. The license would entitle the OP to make a MARS mod and/or 60 meter band. 73 Rich

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a Icom 7410 and bought it used. It certainly seems to be open for transmit on all frequencies although I'm not the one who did any sort of mod to it. I don't know if it will transmit in the Chicken Band...I'll have to check that out. It probably will.

4. W9RAC

If its "open" then it will TX as general coverage. 73 Rich

5. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi KP4SK -- it will not TX outside of the amateur bands. However, it is fully unlocked on the 60M band. I also have a 7410 -- amazing rig for the used prices now! Mine came with all the additional roofing filters for $800 shipped. It'll run full power all day and the cooling fans rarely ramp up unless you're chewing the rag too long without IDing haha.

6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no restriction on Transmitter output power on 60 meters.;)

W0PV likes this.
  7. W9RAC

Darn, here I thought it was 100 watts or less. 73 Rich

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

100 wats ERP;);)

9. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I suspect there are people that feel if the antenna is a poor radiator, the effective radiated power will be low enough.

10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

(i) No station may transmit with an
    effective radiated power (ERP) exceeding
    100 W PEP on the 60 m band. For
    the purpose of computing ERP, the
    transmitter PEP will be multiplied by
    the antenna gain relative to a halfwave
    dipole antenna. A half-wave
    dipole antenna will be presumed to
    have a gain of 1 (0 dBd). Licensees
    using other antennas must maintain in
    their station records either the antenna
    manufacturer’s data on the antenna
    gain or calculations of the antenna
    gain.

The rule is clear that the 60M band has an ERP restriction, not a transmitter power restriction. As an example, if you are running a 25' vertical antenna, base loaded for 60M, and using a few radials, your ERP may not be equal to a dipole. If your antenna inefficiency and feedline loss were equal to 3dB, then you could legally run 200 watts of transmitter power. It would be up to you to maintain those antenna calculations in your station records.

ND6M likes this.