Corn Fused 60 meters.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3EPA, Aug 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Because, as he has stated in the past, he's above all that. I think it happens to be he's too stubborn to acquiesce to convention.

I'm sure an explanation will be forthcoming.

K4AGO, W7UUU and K4TTJ like this.
  2. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

For those of us using equipment from the 1950s into the 1970s, many will transmit outside of the amateur bands. Some, at least into the early 1990s, could be operated outside of the amateur radio allocations.

For instance, my Sideband Engineers SBE-33 transceiver operates (using the internal VFO) to 7350 kHz on 40 meters, and 14.400 MHz on 20 meters. It was done for ease of design. It was designed in the early 1960s.

I owned quite a few Heathkit DX-100s and DX-100Bs over the years. They all included VFO operation on 11 meters. The DX-100/B VFO was basically the same as the stand alone Heathkit VF-1. The VF-1 had a separate 11 meter band that operated from 6740 to 6807.5 kHz. When used with many transmitters of the day, the dial was calibrated for 26.960 - 27.230 MHz, using the 4th harmonic of the oscillator. It worked with all of the Heathkit DX series, the Eico 700 series, and various other transmitters that used 2nd, 3rd and 4th harmonics of the VF1 oscillator. These were all designed in the early-mid 1950s.

And then there are MARS and CAP. I haven't been active with either since the 1980s. But we used HF ham equipment for out-of-band MARS operation (lots of Viet Nam era phone patches in the 1970s).

We used 2 meter equipment for Cival Air Patrol activities, including during rescues and emergencies. We legally operated just below and just above the 2 meter ham frequency allocations. I still have my old Drake TR-22 2-meter transceiver loaded with amateur and CAP frequencies/crystals.

So, yes. There were many transmitters and transceivers built and used for multiple services, even if not initially intended to do so.

3. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I am aware of the older, very much older rigs having the capability you mention. The conversation which centerters around the 60 meter band and most if not all if its users I suspect are on more modern transceivers. My first transceiver was a Yaesu FT 757 GX, dating back to the early 80s. That radio and every one I have had since, which has been many, has had the TX locked from the factory, unless modded by the user. That is long before the 60 meter US allocation. I know of none as you mentioned into the 80's and in particular the 1990s? At risk of sounding argumentative, what HF transceivers of late, 1980's plus have the TX open from the factory, 60 meters included? Just trying to learn something that evendely I missed, 73 Rich

4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

The Drake TR-7 came from the factory capable of transmitting on the amateur bands only, but the receiver was general coverage. When the WARC bands were opened, Drake offered for sale IC chips @ around $40 each, to open the rig to transmit on one of the new bands. To cover 30, 17 and 12m required an investment of $120 (1980s dollars) for the three chips.

The TR-7 could be made to transmit general coverage, anywhere from 1.7 to 30 mHz, by simply clipping the emitter or collector lead of one transistor in the control board. At the time I ran the service dep't of a commercial two-way radio business, and probably modified 100 transceivers as a sideline. We charged the customer a flat $25 to make the modification.

Anyone with minimal knowledge of electronic circuitry could look at the schematic that came with the rig and figure out how to do it. A 5-minute modification.

5. W9RAC

It's that way with most rings other than a select few. Some require a bit more than others. I never bother to change them since I have no reason to TX outside the bands and of course the VFO handles everything within. One thing that makes no sense to me is my TS 990 is locked TX on 60 meters, from the factory. Its a 200 watt rig, they did not bother to program it to limit the TX on 60 to 100. So a person could run 200 on 60 if desired. Considering the other limitations in place and that the radio has programmable TX abilities on all the bands that can all be different it makes no sense. Id say they overlooked it. 73 Rich

6. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I bought my rig the 40m band in this region was 7.00 to 7.10 MHz, shortly afterwards it was extended to 7.20 MHz. In order to access the extention to the band I had to "open up" the rig, just a few minutes work to change some jumpers. This fortuitiously made it possible to operate on 60 m, and since the first experiments on 60m (for which at the time I had to apply for a variation to my license) the channels were added to and then the bandlets that I referred to in an earlier post became available, the original opening up made it possible to instantly adapt to these changes.

In the event that the FCC extracts its digit and gives you guys the WRC-15 band (and yes, I know that they move at glacial speeds!) then I forsee vast numbers of you hastily modding rigs!:)

M0IND and W9RAC like this.
  7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Many if not most commercially manufactured ham rigs used to come from the factory fully capable of operating well outside the amateur bands and no-one gave that a second thought. The responsibility was on the operator to keep his signal within the confines of his licence. Now, amateur equipment tends to "locked" at the factory to make them incapable of transmitting outside the amateur bands without hacking. Does this say something about the technical competence of to-day's hams, or something about their integrity?

WG8Z likes this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

More something about what the manufacturers and regulators think of us.

9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

It's probably more to do with the fact that it is easier to do in firmware and than with analog VFOs etc. If you're writing firmware for a transceiver then it's probably not a big decision of "should we restrict the transmit?" I think it's probably more a matter of "why not?" It's also easy to publish a firmware update if something changes.

10. W9RAC

I noticed that the practice of locking them more aggressively somewhat coincided with the popularity of CB radio in the 1970's and beyond. Most of the rig's are opened with a quick mod, sometimes even provided by the manufacturer with the proof you a valid Amateur license. Im not so certain its a blemish on the Amateurs by the manufacturers (biting the hand that feeds you type thing) but more of a effort to keep those transceivers off 11 meters somewhat, or at least the appearance of a effort . Those manufacturers are completely capable of locking those transceivers completely and permanently if they desired. Not trying to dump it on the CB crowd or pirate radio guys but just a thought. 73 Rich