Corn Fused 60 meters.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3EPA, Aug 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I read the ARRL band plan for 60 meters.
    I understand it is a secondary band and government agencies have priority.
    If you hear some one it says move to another channel.
    I want to two know when 2 or 3 people on on a channel as channel 2 5.3465 and they invite other people to join in is it ok.
    I says you can call CQ and many people will respond.

I know the ARRL makes recommendations like not to use LSB on 20 meters which is actualy not illegal by FCC rules just a form of etiquette.

What are the real rules and legal standing on 60 meters.
    Not the ARRL suggested rules

Corn Fused.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can use USB, RTTY, data, or CW on the 60-meter band with a maximum effective radiated power of 100-watts when the antenna is equivalent to a dipole. You also cannot interfere with commercial / government transmissions on the same frequency. Normal QSOs can take place on the band and that is all that the FCC really says about operation on the 60-meter band.

47 CFR Part 97 Section 97.303(h), (i), and (j) read as follows:

§97.303 Frequency sharing requirements.

The following paragraphs summarize the frequency sharing requirements that apply to amateur stations transmitting in the frequency bands specified in §97.301 of this part. Each frequency band allocated to the amateur service is designated as either a secondary service or a primary service. A station in a secondary service must not cause harmful interference to, and must accept interference from, stations in a primary service.

(h) 60 m band: (1) In the 5330.5-5406.4 kHz band (60 m band), amateur stations may transmit only on the five center frequencies specified in the table below. In order to meet this requirement, control operators of stations transmitting phone, data, and RTTY emissions (emission designators 2K80J3E, 2K80J2D, and 60H0J2B, respectively) may set the carrier frequency 1.5 kHz below the center frequency as specified in the table below. For CW emissions (emission designator 150HA1A), the carrier frequency is set to the center frequency. Amateur operators shall ensure that their emissions do not occupy more than 2.8 kHz centered on each of these center frequencies.

60 M Band Frequencies (kHz)

Carrier Center
    5330.5 5332.0
    5346.5 5348.0
    5357.0 5358.5
    5371.5 5373.0
    5403.5 5405.0
    (2) Amateur stations transmitting on the 60 m band must not cause harmful interference to, and must accept interference from, stations authorized by:

(i) The United States (NTIA and FCC) and other nations in the fixed service; and

(ii) Other nations in the mobile except aeronautical mobile service.

(i) Amateur stations transmitting in the 7.2-7.3 MHz segment must not cause harmful interference to, and must accept interference from, international broadcast stations whose programming is intended for use within Region 1 or Region 3.

(j) Amateur stations transmitting in the 30 m band must not cause harmful interference to, and must accept interference from, stations by other nations in the fixed service. The licensee of the amateur station must make all necessary adjustments, including termination of transmissions, if harmful interference is caused.

The ARRL has been coming up with "band plans", which have absolutely no regulatory force, for decades. Also, for decades, they violated their own band plan by operating LSB bulletin stations on 7290 kHz which they showed as the AM frequency for the 40-meter band. Frankly, if you tried to follow all of the various "band plans" that are around amateur radio, you would have a hard time finding a frequency that one recommended mode did not conflict with another recommended mode!

Operate just like you would do on another band making sure to comply the with FCC regulations and you will be fine!

Glen, K9STH

KG5ILR, K0UO, KB3FEI and 1 other person like this.
  3. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank You

4. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

gonna take a real long time to make DXCC on this one...

W4IOA likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

And his corn will fall freely apart, no longer fused - "fused corn" is not a good thing :p

Dave
    W7UUU

6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful,.......... Bonnie will tell ya not to do that;).

K4AGO and KD5J like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha!

8. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess it's been a while since I read the regulations, and ARRL's take on them. What they are saying about digital modes doesn't seem to agree with FCCs discussion. And, setting CW to the center of channel means that someone operating SSB there would not hear a CW signal that is zero beat. I will just continue to work people where I find them. I was trying to run a digital net there at certain times of the year, but I think I will pass on it now.

9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

DX is perhaps the worst use of 60m. Please consider regional communication and NVIS antennas etc.

K4AGO likes this.
  10. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I am on 60 almost daily, SSB. Most of the transceivers today have 60m locked into the memory from the factory allowing for adjustment of the RX only. The ones I have seen have the memories set as, channels 1-5 SSB mode, 6-10 CW data mode. Although the channels are 1-10 the frequices are the 5 as listed in the above post with the offset as the second 5. Its amazing to me how many CW OP's will come in and start calling CQ while there is SSB traffic on the same channel. The band plan chart provided by the ARRL regarding 60m has a footnote indicating "only one signal at a time is permitted on any channel"......... so although its less than good ethics and I believe could be considered QRM im not certain if its "legal" Thoughts??? 73 Rich

K0UO likes this.