Core Material for Induction Coils / Transformers

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KK4NSF, Oct 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

2. K1LKP

LOOK AT POST # 31

3. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe "The Boy Electrician". That was a favourite of mine from the school library.
    Frank

4. K1APJ

K1APJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed you are correct. A single page posted here to avoid the wrath of the copyright police.

I note that stove pipe wire is still readily available, some sizes can be had at the Big Box stores.

Attached Files:

5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've looked at both websites.... and while interesting, they do not offer materials for sale in small quantities. They declined to quote since it was for a private individual, and too small an order.

6. KK4NSF

actually.... no it can't, at least not at any of the stores in my area. Then again, we don't have stovepipes around here.

The big box stores now offer STEEL wire from China which is higher in carbon, and not soft annealed (in spite of their description) Every roll I've tested was far stiffer than old-style rebar tie-wire, had terrible residual magnetics, and is coated with gunky black oil. The only wire that comes close is old-style rebar tie wire made in the US that you can only find at construction supply houses. You can tell the good stuff since it's hot rolled, matt finished and doesn't have the gunky oil.

7. K1LKP

OK........ THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY....

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU DID TALK / EMAIL WITH ONE OF THE COMPANIES.

IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THEY CAN RECOMMEND A COMPANY THAT WUD TAKE A SMALL ORDER.

HERE IS ANOTHER AVENUE TO PERSUE.

https://www.fishersci.com/us/en/home.html

HAVE FUN AND DON'T GET DISCOURAGED.

73 - K1LKP

KK4NSF likes this.
  8. KK4NSF

Thanks for the link. I'll give them a call.
    For this project, I've located some of the soft iron rebar tie wire. I'll be annealing it over the week-end.... so I think we're good. I'll post the project as the build progresses.

K1LKP likes this.
  9. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Brillo pads do just fine..... for sparklers

Dave